cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

All Neighbours have FTTP but our home doesn't

I live in a block of six in Broadstairs (CT10 1TG) where all my neighbours have FTTP (obvious by a walk around the neighbourhood), but I am told by Fibre Checker service that we are not in the build plans. Our neighbours, bar the one next door (which is a new build and has a new BT manhole outside), are served by overhead cables. Our feed is underground copper and I assume ducted from the cabinet in a neighbouring road. I don't know whether OpenReach will come back to connect us and fear we're going to be stuck with copper for ever. I imagine we have ducts that would facilitate the entry but accept it is an easier engineering challenge to fit overhead cabling.

Our freeholder lives in the block and insists that OpenReach have not contacted him to give permission.

Any advice on how to contact the relevant team, or an actual person who won't just fob me off or direct me to the Chatbot, which is clearly useless in answering this enquiry.

Many thanks, Nigel

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: All Neighbours have FTTP but our home doesn't

You can try using this form to contact OpenReach about FTTP at your property:

https://www.openreach.com/forms/fibre-broadband-availability---customer-form

When you say "all my neighbours have FTTP" are you referring to your neighbours in your block or in adjacent houses?

Message 3 of 5

Sorry, should have been clearer. Our block is without FTTP but neighbours clearly have it as one can easily tell by looking at the poles in neighbouring streets. I see the fibre cable reaches neighbours from two nearby streets. However, ours and next door are not connected by overhead cables. Our block has six flats whereas the one next door is one large house.

I have used the form thanks, but waiting to hear back. 

Many thanks, Nigel

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

MDU ( multi dwelling units ) , so apartments, flats etc , where all the units have a common entrance leading to internal front doors for each unit , and the existing copper pair distribution is internal , ( so instead of an individual wire from a pole to each flat , it’s all hidden internal wiring ) , are not picked up when OR initially build an area with FTTP .

In overhead areas ( telegraph poles) overhead wasn’t normally used on MDU’s , as it could be complicated , if the pole were at the front and some flats were on the opposite side of the building , and would look terrible, so , in general, MDU have an underground cable into a common area and individual internal cables run to each flat , these MDU are excluded from the initial OR FTTP build .

It is common for close by neighbours that are SDU ( single dwelling units ) to be able to order and all the units with in the MDU ( flat 1 , flat 2 etc ) are not to be able to order ….if and when MDU’s are picked up for FTTP deployment they can be complicated, thats why they are excluded from the initial build , it’s a different OR build programme that look at these , the legal aspects alone can be time consuming and in some cases even if permissions are given , retro fitting internal optical wiring to a MDU , may be challenging.

Obviously a house converted into a small number flats could  be reassigned from MDU to several SDU if the existing external network allows for this , especially if the original large house  were  served overhead, but obviously it depends on its situation, and if it’s been designated as MDU that ( for the time being ) may be that.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Oooh **bleep**! This sounds bad. I seem to have gotten some traction with OpenReach today and they have asked for Freeholders permission to access Communal Areas. I have done this once before then but didn't hear anything back until they wrote and said they had been unable to get the freeholder permission. This however turned out to be incorrect as the freeholder, also keen to have FTTP, hadn't heard by either phone or email. So, it's a bit of a mystery. I have today though been able to communicate with actual people, and they too have been talking about MDU. What we haven't heard though is whether they're willing to fit them once freeholder permissions are obtained. Fingers crossed...

Many thanks for your response. Kind regards, Nigel

0 Ratings