cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 22

Re: Am I another Banded profile victim? (Artificially low speed profile)

Go to solution
If the line is actually only capable of 36M, then it would seem a little OFCOM-notifiable for the company to still take payment for a package that doesn't offer the advertised speed, when a cheaper one that does only offer that rate exists.

To continue your analogy, I don't have parking for a Lambourghini (FTTP) so paid for a Granada (Fibre 2) yet received a Fiesta (Fibre 1/Essential speed) with a swapped out name plate 🙂
0 Ratings
Message 12 of 22

Go to solution

Have you tried connecting to the test socket with a filter to see if that improves your speed as even the attainable speed from your stats is well below the expected range from dslchecker

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 13 of 22

Go to solution

@imjollywrote:

Have you tried connecting to the test socket with a filter to see if that improves your speed as even the attainable speed from your stats is well below the expected range from dslchecker

I'll wait for RobbieMac and the Community team to verify the actual profile that's been applied before going down the master socket test route.

Out of interest, would a physical noise check even be possible on a line that no longer has a proper telephone connection (Vodafone decided to switch the account to some VOIP thing without even telling me and I didn't request a new connection with BT when I switched the broadband over, which was handy(!) as I had been using an older phone that doesn't even beep-boop when pressing buttons - using automated hotlines required holding a simless mobile up to the mouthpiece 😄 )

At least I found the quote button this time 🙂

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 22

Go to solution

I'll wait for RobbieMac and the Community team to verify the actual profile that's been applied before going down the master socket test route.

Thanks @BeckiJane

I see we've got your details so many thanks for sending them over.  We deal with cases in turn as we receive them so as soon as you reach the top we'll be in touch to give you a hand 🙂

Robbie

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 22

Go to solution

@BeckiJanewrote:

adsl: ADSL driver and PHY status
Last Retrain Reason:    1
Last initialization procedure status:    0
Max:    Upstream rate = 16340 Kbps, Downstream rate = 51121 Kbps
Bearer:    0, Upstream rate = 9997 Kbps, Downstream rate = 36457 Kbps
Bearer:    1, Upstream rate = 0 Kbps, Downstream rate = 0 Kbps
Link Power State:    L0
Mode:            VDSL2 Annex B
VDSL2 Profile:        Profile 17a
TPS-TC:            PTM Mode(0x0)
Trellis:        U:ON /D:ON
Line Status:        No Defect
Training Status:    Showtime
        Down        Up
SNR (dB):     7.4         10.0
Attn(dB):     19.7         0.0
Pwr(dBm):     12.9         5.4

VDSL2 framing
            Bearer 0
MSGc:        -6        43
B:        227        31
M:        1        1
T:        0        64
R:        14        2
S:        0.0000        0.1017
L:        9733        2675
D :        4        1
I:        242        34
N:        242        34
Q:        4        0
V:        0        0
RxQueue:        85        0
TxQueue:        17        0
G.INP Framing:        18        0
G.INP lookback:        17        0
RRC bits:        0        24

We're still mid-ticket so future numbers could change while the line settles but I thought I'd provide an update for those following along at home.

The profile appears to have been updated overnight, although it did make the modem disconnect for an unknown period of time (it was still unconnected once I got out of bed).

I've rebooted the router, which is currently in the master socket and here are the changed statistics to date.

Last Retrain Reason:    0
Max:    Upstream rate = 16882 Kbps, Downstream rate = 49877 Kbps
Bearer:    0, Upstream rate = 16882 Kbps, Downstream rate = 49687 Kbps
        Down        Up
SNR (dB):     3.3         5.9
Pwr(dBm):     12.9         5.6

VDSL2 framing
            Bearer 0
MSGc:        -6        24
B:        227        239
R:        14        14
S:        0.0000        0.4523
L:        13265        4493
I:        242        127
N:        242        254
RxQueue:        120        0
TxQueue:        20        0
G.INP lookback:        20        0

I still don't know what all of those numbers mean but the stream rates have increased quite handily.

The upload is now reaching the speed I had expected and the download is in the range apparently expected by the router (I'll assume that's something it calculates based on current signal to noise ratios and it could improve further, if I'm lucky).

Hopefully I'm now on the 80/20 profile.

One can only presume that the computer handling new account sign-ups is basing line capacity on the speed test carried out across the previous provider's connection, ie. my Vodafone package (not necessarily the fastest they had available) used to reach 32+/16 so the BT algorithm thought 40/20 was my max and as they didn't have that profile, rounded me down to the next nearest configuration.  Even a router fault could end up reducing the speeds offered if that is how it's chosen. 🙁

It's been over an hour since connection so here's a current quick look at the stats:

ADSL LinkDownstreamUpstream
Connection Speed49687 kbps16882 kbps
Line AttenuationD0( 14.9) D1( 24.3) D2( 31.8) dBU0( 20.8) U1( 19.3) U2( 26.7) U3(N/A) U4(N/A) dB
Noise MarginD0( 3.2) D1( 3.3) D2( 3.3) dBU0( 5.8) U1( 5.8) U2( 5.8) U3(N/A) U4(N/A) dB

I'm not going to discuss the extra automated line management stuff that can occur once a line is activated (especially as that may be OperReach's department, rather than BT's) but it may be worth someone double-checking that profile selection algorithm because I wasn't tne first one here with this problem (and it's because this very issue had been discussed and fixed for people after they posted to this forum that I registered).  Maybe we need an additional sub-heading specifically for "Broadband Speed Profile Query" on the topics drop-down 😄

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 22

Go to solution

from new stats you are now on fibre 2 as can be seen with your up speed no longer restricted to 10mb.  your down speed looks at attainable so as good as line can get with normal 6db noise margin.  You may get a boost in down speed if G.INP is able to be active but that could take 7/10 days stable connection

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 17 of 22

Go to solution

From the get-go, your the VDSL2 profile you posted was 17a, which suggests you were already on Fibre 2 (or it should have been 8a).

The SNRm values you've posted are pretty low - low is good provided they can be maintained.  If they creep up, then it's possible that there is some source of interference, even if it's sporadic.

Good luck, I hope the stats stay as they, or maybe even get better - remember to update us in a week or if everything goes well!

I only learn by making mistakes and owning up to them - boy do I learn a lot!
0 Ratings
Message 18 of 22

Go to solution

BT don't use 8A, all BT VDSL is 17A

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 22

Go to solution

It didn't used to be!  Doing my research though, you are correct and the DSLAMs now only support 17a.  Brings into question how the exact speeds are generated. It's got to be procedurally somehow or everyone close to a cabinet on Fibre 1 would be getting top speeds!

I only learn by making mistakes and owning up to them - boy do I learn a lot!
0 Ratings
Message 20 of 22

Go to solution

Not sure how exactly the 40/55/80 caps are technically implemented via DLM, but it isn't via VDSL profile change. That wouldn't give precise speed caps in any case.