cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 29

Re: Are BT trying to block VPNs

Go to solution

thats strange as I use ExpressVPN and its still working although I dont use IPTV

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 29

Go to solution

Not all VPNs are setup the same way - it can depend on the server.  If the VPN is not setup to allow split-tunnelling then  ALL traffic from the VPN client will be sent via the VPN server,  this can result in some software not working as expected - nothing to do with BT.  

If when using MY Express VPN your IPTV stops working that does not sound like BT blocking your VPN but more that your IPTV is being blocked by your VPN.

Message 13 of 29

Go to solution

Thanks for the response, but my IPTV suggested ExpressVPN... so they wouldn't be blocking it.

I just spoke to tech support but wasn't at my hub to follow instructions. He said I should disable internet filtering or something, but the only thing I can find related is firewall, which when off, makes no difference to this blocking phenomenon.

Do you know what else I could try on the BT hub that might be doing this?

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 29

Go to solution

There are no settings you can change in the hub that would affect it and BT don't block VPNs although I have absolutely no idea why people use them other than to obtain unavailable content.

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 29

Go to solution

Hmm, so it seems you know more than the support person I spoke to, though you seem unfamiliar with the many functions of a vpn...

as I said, the iptv works fine with BT when I am NOT using the vpn. It does not work when I am using the VPN. The iptv provider recommended expressvpn. So that leads me to think there must be something about the way BT deals with this iptv when it is going through a vpn that causes the problem.

I was not looking for your judgment thank you.

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 29

Go to solution

There's a lot FUD propagated about VPNs.

Message 17 of 29

Go to solution

@markpalmos 

In view of the fact that have now jumped on this thread it would appear that your own thread is no longer needed and as such I will remove it to avoid duplication and wasting forum users time unless you can offer a need to keep it.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/BT-blocking-ExperssVPN-activity-on-my-account/m...

Message 18 of 29

Go to solution

Try using tracert to your IPTV address with both the VPN inactive and active. You should see a set of addresses for each path (or route) that might give you an idea where things are going awry. Also try nslookup for the IPTV with the VPN active and inactive that might help show if there is a possible issue with split DNS.

Post the results of both back here.

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 29

Go to solution

@countrypaul  thanks, 

So I suppose to tracert my pc I have to do that from another device, like my android phone? And then I should enter the ip for the pc, ie 192.168.x.xxx yep? (or is it the gateway, DNS or broadband IP I should enter?
Sorry, but my searches haven't found any simple explanation to follow...

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 29

Go to solution

I meant from your PC use tracert to the IPTV host, that way you should see whether the path makes sense of whether it stalls for some reason. For example: tracert www.bbc.co.uk

Similarly using nslookup to check the ipaddress of the IPTV host might highlight any split DNS issue. For example: nslookup www.bbc.co.uk

Both need to be run from a command prompt (just in case its not obvious!)