cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Next step

My friend has recently had fibre fitted by opnreach.  After the engineer had left it was found that sky satellite was not receiving a signal. The new fibre cable was fitted just above his satellite dish. The engineer left a mess of tangled wire,a trip hazard by the new installation. The old service wire was left a well as a cut off Ethernet cable. I attempted to tidy up the wire and in doing so I plugged the new service wire in the wrong port ie no1 not No3. He had no phone or broadband. I was onto BT for nearly an hour and my mistake and no solution was found. It took an engineers visit 3 days later to carry out a 10 second repair.  I am shocked and amazed that Openreach has no customer complaints or help system, all I originally wanted was for the engineer to return to the premises to resolve the tangled wire and no satellite signal within an hour after he had left. This was refused and I was fobbed off to BT.

please take this story as a warning for customers who use Openreach, make sure you check their work and all your systems before they leave your premises, because boy you are on your own once they drive away. It is suspected that the original engineer knocked the satellite dish out of alignment, and they or BT can’t or won’t resolve it.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Next step

If there is a problem during installation your gripe is with your ISP (Internet Service Provider) 

You are the ISP's customer not Openreach's customer. 

Openreach are contracted by the ISP to carry our the installation on their behalf so it is up to the ISP to have any problems made good.

The problem for your friend is being able to prove that the problem was caused by the installation and was not there before the installer fitted the broadband.

Message 3 of 5

I just want everyone to know that basically if Openreach mess up you are on your own. I wonder who would be liable if someone was injured due to this shoddy work and who the insurance would be with.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

It would be with the contractor just in the same way as if you did something that was shoddy and caused injury. That is why all contractors, builders etc have or should have Public Liability Insurance which would pay out if it was proved that the contractor was at fault.

As regards your comments " basically if Openreach mess up you are on your own"  you are wrong.  I have already posted who is responsible if there is a problem.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

As you state that the tangle of wires is a trip hazard  then it is a health and safety issue. You can resolve it here.

https://www.openreach.com/help-and-support/when-to-get-in-touch-with-openreach/complaints-policy 

0 Ratings