cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 20

Re: BT Fibre installation

If I put up scaffolding would they put the CSP higher?

I doubt it - the issue is not just the initial installation, it needs to be in a location where maintenance can be done as well.

Is your attic floored and lit?  There has been at least one report on this forum of a CSP being installed inside a floored attic.

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 20

I doubt it, what if that CSP needs maintenance....we are back at the original issue again, likelihood is it never will but I still dont think they will install it where it cannot be accessed at ground level.

Why cant the ONT be installed the otherside of the wall at ground level? You can always then run your own ethernet internally to another location where you want the router.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT900 | Nokia ONT | Ubiquiti ER-X | EETV Box Pro (IP Mode) | Unifi CK2 | 6x Unifi U6+ | 2x Unifi SAK Ultra
0 Ratings
Message 13 of 20

I get that thanks... Just not practical to have it in the kitchen or bathroom.... and the other option is having a lovley black cable running around the house, up and down under the windows to get to the back of the house where i want it. And if it was there it would be in a prime position to be smashed by rugby balls, tennis balls, bikes and skateboards!
0 Ratings
Message 14 of 20

Okay, now it makes more sense, kitchen and bathroom are at the front, I do further understand your plight a little here now.

The Fibre cable will be black anyway and I was told "im not allowed to paint it".

So if it was me and it was either Fibre in the kitchen or none at all i'd have to proceed but this is up to you. Say I was in your shoes I would have the ONT fitted into the kitchen, somewhere as discrete as possible, obviously not on tiles...without seeing your kitchen I cant think of where specifically but FWIW my ONT isnt ideally placed but I had to make it work. What I did was then drill a hole next to the ONT and CPS and run a nice white (colour matching my outside render) ethernet cable back out and up my wall into my attic, and my attic is where I keep all my gear, you could do something similar but just enter the conduit with the ethernet.

So that would be one black cable entering your property and the rest would be taken care of by a colour of your choice, evils are two holes, one is covered by the CSP and ONT but you have to find somewhere discrete for the ONT, the Nokia ones in circulation at the moment though are very small.

Thats one plan, other than that im not sure what else to suggest.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT900 | Nokia ONT | Ubiquiti ER-X | EETV Box Pro (IP Mode) | Unifi CK2 | 6x Unifi U6+ | 2x Unifi SAK Ultra
0 Ratings
Message 15 of 20

You may get a tech that will do as you ask , but need to be prepared for them to say No , they may balance a £3K-£4K fusion splicer on a ladder but if it falls , they are on the hook to pay for its repair or replacement, self evidently it can’t fall off the floor , they won’t enter a loft space that isn’t fully boarded , lit and have a ‘proper’ staircase into it , so no point ordering and then being disappointed if you will know the limitations in advance, if this isn’t acceptable, then TBH , you may want to cancel your appointment.

There was a post ( quite some time ago ) where a consumer ( house not bungalow) objected to the cable from the pole running down the wall and the cable from the CSP running up the wall to enter in a bedroom , ( two cables next to each other on the same wall  for  5-6 metres ) and after complaining  relentlessly,  they eventually had an internal CSP provided so the cable went directly into the bedroom…..presumably though if you  want the cable to enter your loft area even complaining may not work .

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 20

Hiya. The openreach guy i had was really nice, and let me run the internal fibre run inside the walls of my property while he was pulling the fibre to where the CPS would be. Great chap. 

As other have said, the CPS needs to be at ground level. If you got scaffolding, they might do it up there, but i find it unlikely (is the next owner going to pay for scaffolding when the fibre connection gets broken and the CSB needs to be accessed?) 

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 20

They may be able to fit an internal CSP for you

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 20

@dave44 

Unlikely to fit internal CSP if fibre cable is connected at eaves level and the attic/ loft is not floored as openreach will not enter unfloored loft

I have an internal CSP with fibre entering at eaves but I  have my attic converted so just another room

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 19 of 20

Openreach are only allowed to go on Scaffolding that has been put up by a Licensed Company and the Scaffolding must be Tested and have its Certificate attached to Scaffold.

To be fair what you’re asking for the CSP to be at 2.5m above ground isn’t that unreasonable.

The Fibre Tails in the CSP are supposed to be 1 - 1.5m so they could easily Splice on a Step Ladder.

When I was a CST doing FTTP I would have accommodated you no problem splicing off a step ladder. 

Buts that’s me, the Installer you get may not. 

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 20

Also: When I had fibre fitted Openreach left my two old copper cables (one that we'd been using up to that point and an ancient cable, disconnected decades ago). So now I have three cables from a pole to the side of my house. I asked them to remove the old copper cables and they said no.

They also would not drill through door or window frames. They were happy to thread cables thorough holes I had drilled myself, though, so that's what we did.

0 Ratings