cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 15

BT Fibre what kind of wall faceplate should it be connected to?

I have had issues with my broadband , constantly unstable. Many online fault reports made to BT I've physically seen them do the work not far from my house but every time they claim its complete my speed is no different.

Anyway to my point, in the past when trouble shooting you normally take the faceplate off the wall and plug the broadband directly into the port behind it. Only in this house I went to do exactly that and there isn't a port behind it as the wires are directly into the faceplate and the wires are loose could this be the issue? Is having a socket like this normal? 

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

Re: BT Fibre what kind of wall faceplate should it be connected to?

which master do you have

Keith_Beddoe_0-1577035081757.jpegMaster socket types.jpeg

do you have any other sockets in your home?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 15

Very old installations didn't have a test socket behind the faceplate.

Are you sure it is the master socket and not an extension? Are the wires that are connected the external cable entering the building?

What do you actually mean by 'loose'. If they are not correctly terminated it will cause a problem but if you just mean the wires are untidy it won't matter.

Can you post a photo?

Message 4 of 15

Thanks for your reply I don't have any of the sockets above. So from your description yes its an old style plate with no test socket. 

By the term loose I mean easily movable and not very secure to their connection points. 

As for it being the master socket it's actually the only socket I can find in the house and is placed beneath the window where my Bt connection is on the outside. Its definitely an old style socket, is having that for fibre an issue? Should it be changed? I would change the plate myself but there are around 10 wires or more which I have no clue what is what so its not worth doing myself 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 15

Only 2 wires are required, no idea what the others are, a photo would be helpful.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 15

20210416_144331_compress46.jpg

On this occasion for quickness I left the broadband plugged in and it actually went off by just unscrewing the faceplate which would suggest that there is a connection problem here

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 15

That's not a master socket and you must have other sockets elsewhere as there are multiple cables.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 15

So all the issues I have could be that I'm not connected to the master socket, and I can't find any other socket anywhere in the house but it must be here hidden 😂 great 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 15

Its a miracle it works at all with all those wires stuffed into the IDCs!!

If that is the only socket you are wishing to use and you are sure one of the cables is the incoming feed, you just need to connect the 2 incoming wires to pins 2&5. They will probably be Blue and Wh/Blue. 

Message 10 of 15

Thanks will give this a go when partner finishes work. Like you say I do believe it being so congested is part of the problem, as soon as I moved the plate the broadband went off

0 Ratings