cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 15

Re: BT Fibre what kind of wall faceplate should it be connected to?

What sort of property do you live in ?, sometimes ( for example ) in an apartment complex or similar the ‘OR’ lines enter the property in a utility type area and the Openreach master socket for each flat is located there , they then connect to builder/developer provided cables that go to the individual flats/apartments.

In case like this where the cables ( installed by the builder and generally hidden behind walls etc ) or the decorative or multi function ‘sockets’ go faulty, they are not Openreach or BT’s responsibility , after all OR didn’t supply them, and it’s not OR’s ‘job’ to fix them,  if a cable were provided by the builder  , behind a wall,  and it was damaged on its way to your apartment , and for arguments sake, the wall needed to be opened up to get at the faulty cable, who would be responsible for the damaged wall being repaired ? 

In cases like this , it’s possible the OR tech would just prove the line OK to the utility area where the OR master socket (NTE) is located ,and  any issues after  that would be for the flat owners or the building management company to sort out.

In your case it may not be as ‘complicated’ as that, it could just be someone replaced the OR  master socket with a non standard socket....however if that’s what is causing the problem and you call OR out to fix it, they probably would replace it with a standard NTE , and charge you for the visit as it wasn’t OR that caused the problem but the non standard equipment on the line.

Message 12 of 15

Wow wow wow I'm in shock, since I moved in here I've been putting up with unstable broadband. When it's been good it has been around 16 downlad and 1.6 upload I just removed the clutter of wires and put in the two you suggested and instantly my speeds are 25 download and 2.6 upload. 

What do I do with the four spare wires coming from the external cable? Do I connect these to any of the points, is it OK to leave them loose behind the plate

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 15

It's definitely the master socket I'm connected to as I removed all the wiring to the face plate and only connected the suggested wires to point 2 and 5 and my Internet connection has almost doubled in speed and stability. My only concern is the extra wiring is now not connected to anything and I'm unsure if they should be connected to the faceplate or left loose behind the plate

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 15

All other wires can just be left spare and unterminated.

Message 15 of 15

Thanks for your help 👍

0 Ratings