cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

BT Full Fibre 900 - Not meeting guaranteed speeds

Hi,

I upgraded to BT's Full Fibre 900 last November. (2023)

Once upgrade had been confirmed, I had no reason to doubt that system would not be providing minimum guaranteed speed of 700Mb.

However, I decided to test the speed to the BT Hub mid December using the official "MYBT" app.

I was surprised to find that the speed recorded varied from 400', to 600's, but never at any time met or exceeded the guaranteed minimum of 700. I have been checking these speeds every day since and have recorded speeds as low as in 200's.

I have had BT Engineers on-site to check this issue on 3 occasions, and all have recorded lower than expected speeds at BT Hub.

During these visits, they have changed the "ONT" and checked was functioning correctly, they also took my BT Hub out and connected a temporary one to check if Hub was issue, but recorded similar lower than expected speeds on that Hub also.

They have checked all parameters in relation to how Hub was set up etc, and all in order.

The "ONT" and BT Hub have had hard resets, and system reconfigured, but still issue continued.

I have been sent a new BT Hub, which I installed a day ago, but this has not improved the speed. Still not meeting the guaranteed minimum of 700.

Two of the Engineers who visited seem to think that it could be how the upgrade to the Full Fibre 900 has been initiated and processed. 

I test the Hub speed using the MYBT App on my Android mobile. I have even removed app from mobile and then reloaded, in case something peculiar with app, but still no improvement in speeds recorded.

Currently dealing with BT Support who are trying to resolve.

Any ideas anyone.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT Full Fibre 900 - Not meeting guaranteed speeds

If you have a laptop or computer with an Ethernet port and a cable I’d suggest connect directly to the ONT, set up a PPPoE connection and do a speed test against fast.com. You can then use that as a starting point and report back to the FTTP team. Then try the same with a port on the router at various times of the day. 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Hi,

Thanks for feedback. However, the BT Engineers who attended, tested the speed at the ONT via a computer as you suggested and found the speeds at 1000Mbps. When they then tested with the BT hub connected, the speeds at the BT Hub where lower than the guaranteed 700Mbps. I am still in conversation with BT, but they are adamant than nothing is wrong, although BT Engineers noting that speed to BT Hub not meeting guaranteed speeds. I have also been sent and installed a new hub, but with no improvement. I have suggested that it maybe how contract was upgraded, ie using SLT. But have been advised that is not the case. They have arranged for a Home Technician to visit tomorrow, which will be interesting, as I will be able to show them the Hub speeds that are being measured on the MYBT app. Have you any further thoughts on what the issue may be. Thanks

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

The openreach person who connected to the ONT only showed the speed of 1000 in hub stats.  That does not confirm the connection speed as the hub will always show 1000 whether on 150/500/900 package  you need to connect to ONT as @Forthay  posted then run say fast.com and see what results you obtain 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

A heads up, since I don't see them mentioned: The PPPoE username and password to connect directly to the ONT are:

bthomehub@btbroadband.com

Password: BT

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Thanks for reply. Isn't that what the BT Eng's did when they connected their computers direct to the ONT and took out the BT Hub from the equation. If the ONT is getting the appropriate speeds as I have been advised, why would this not be getting replicated at the BT Hub.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

If you check you hub stats you will see the connection speed is 1000 which what engineer checked but you then need to run fast.com

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Thanks for reply. Why is it left to the customer once again to prove that something is not working correctly. Surely having had 3 Engineers look at my slow speed at BT Hub, they would have carried out said test, to prove actual speed at ONT. Pardon my ignorance, but what is the difference from what BT seem to be monitoring when they quote speeds, to that recorded by said test.
0 Ratings