cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

BT Smart Hub needs restarting several times a day!

Hi, just wondered if anyone could shed any light on why I’ve suddenly had to start restarting the Smart Hub daily, sometimes more than once a day as my speeds come to a crawl and ping is around 500.

Every time I do a speed test using the BT app, it keeps saying it can be improved and proceeds to restart the router which usually then fixes it. Once last week it didn’t so someone called me who did a ‘factory reset’ which fixed it. But then I’ve had to reboot daily again since then! 

My guarantee speed is around 42mb I believe but usually get around 50. When it starts having issues I’m down to around 5-7.

The guy said we have many devices connected - which was true that day as my 3 kids were with me. However now, this very moment, I’m alone working from home so I have my phone, laptop and just whatever smart devices on and connected. Nothing bandwidth heavy. Yet it’s gone to a crawl again!

Surely I shouldn’t be doing this every day?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: BT Smart Hub needs restarting several times a day!

restarting your hub as often as your are is going to have an adverse effect on your connection speed as the DLM will take action to stabilise your connection by dropping connection speed and increasing noise margin

can you post hub stats - advanced settings then technical log information

if you have a phone and not on digital voice try dial 17070 option 2 should be silent and best with corded phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

IMG_6382.png

IMG_6381.jpeg

Thank you for the reply.

I don’t have a landline phone to test unfortunately however here are the stats requested.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

your stats apart for 24min uptime look good with connection speed virtually at attainable of 59mb and noise margin at 3.1db suggesting G.INP active

I would also turn  FTTP  on to off and get the use of hub port 4 as LAN port

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Thank you for looking into this for me.

Here’s something weird I just noticed which kind of explains today - but doesn’t at the same time.

I just turned off my laptop and internet went normal again. Turned laptop on and connection went terrible with ping over 800.

Im just running various anti virus and cleaners on it now and one app suggested turning some Acer Care software off that had high usage which I did and the fans slowed down and the internet sped up significantly (I can check the impact on my work laptop).

I only got this laptop in the last day but the same thing was happening last week when the kids were here as I mentioned and all they had were their games consoles.

Should I change the router mode to 2 or 3 to try? Could compatibility be causing issues?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

If it is a new laptop it will no doubt be carrying out numerous updates which will impact on your broadband bandwidth speeds. Once the updates have completed it should improve. 

I would suggest that you should go through your laptop programs and settings and delete anything that has been installed by Acer that is not necessary or wanted.

Most of the stuff pre installed by the manufacture is rubbish that is not needed. Microsoft Windows is more than capable of keeping your laptop in good condition and running at its best.

If you are not sure what to remove just carry out an Internet search for Remove Acer Bloatware or Bloatware removal and you will find plenty of sites that will guide you through the process.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

It doesn't need to be a new laptop, just another connection being killed by the latest Windows 10/11 update!

I only learn by making mistakes and owning up to them - boy do I learn a lot!
0 Ratings