cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

BT full fibre modem in wrong room

Go to solution

I had a BT Full Fibre installation by Openreach on Thursday. Ended up having the installation in the hall of my ground floor flat where my tumble dryer is located and there is only one electrical socket.

The dryer is connected to the socket and the Openreach engineer said I could plug the tumble dryer into an extension socket with the FTTP modem and router.

Looked this up afterwards online and found out it is dangerous to use a  tumble dryer with an extention cable because of the high wattage.

Also there is nowhere to put the router except on top of the tumble dryer where it would vibrate and probably be interfered with when the dryer is on. 

I also don't really want the router in the hall and would rather it be in it's original position in my flat living room where I can easily connect an ethernet cable to my devices if I want to.

The engineer seemed to want to set up the modem in the hall because it was easiest but now I have ended up with more inconvenience than what I had before and what is worse is that the FTTP was apperently incorrectly installed in my block of flats and doesn't work at the moment the engineer told me and that means more work to fix that before I can use it.

I really want the modem reinstalled in the flat's living room where the old socket was, is there anyway to do this without having to pay as I was incorrectly told about the using the modem with the tumble dryer on an extension lead would be safe and didn't completely know what was going on during the installation, silly of me I admit.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: BT full fibre modem in wrong room

Go to solution

To move the router into the living room you could install a CAT5e/6 ethernet cable from the ONT in the hall to where you want it in the living room and get the single electric socket in the hall changed to a double for the tumble dryer and ONT.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Give the FTTP team a ring and seee if they can sort it out for you 0800 587 4787 .  If it goes through to normal CS hang up and try again.

It sounds like you got a contractor install rather than an Openreach engineer.

Reportt back on the outcome.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

Another option perhaps would be see if you can get an electrician to install a single to double socket converter (search LAP 13A 1G TO 2G SWITCHED CONVERTER SOCKET WHITE (108CC)) which would allow both items to be connected without the need for an extention lead. But I agree a tumble dryer which is high demand and duty cycle isn't best to be plugged into an extention.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Got the modem reinstalled in my living room by Openreach.

Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

Did you phone openreach or bt to get them to come out and install it where you wanted it?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

it has to be BT as you are not an openreach customer  phone FTTP TEAM as posted 08005874787

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings