cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

BT is restricting my speeds

I pay for Full Fibre 500, I am in a great area and my speed test gives me 517mb Down. However, I noticed that when first doing a speedtest I get around 90mb down, then after a quick restart of my hub its back up to 517mb straight away. This can only mean that BT is limiting my speeds even though I pay for 500 and I should get them speeds CONSTANTLY. I have done this experiment over 15 times, on 15 seperate days. It keeps happening, I want my speed to sit constantly at what I pay for, BT please admit that you are throttling me and STOP IT.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: BT is restricting my speeds

BT do not throttle anyone's speeds. Your problem must be elsewhere.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Sounds more likely to be the hub if restarting that resolves the problem. You have not said what hardware you are using, but if you have a suitable PC you could link that direct to the ONT using pptp and see whether it gets a consistent 500Mb/s. If you have digital voice that won't work whilst you have the PC directly connected.  If the problem can be shown to be the hub, then you can easily report that and get a replacement  - though it may show the same problem. You could try a 3rd party router (though not if you have digital voice and want to retain that), there are several recommended in other threads.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Hi @joe_rigby390 and welcome to our community.

Sorry you'e having problems with the connection speeds. Are you seeing the same results on all devices? 

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

@countrypaulpptp? Don't you mean PPPoE?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

@pippincp  Yes of course I do, I should know better than to post to that time of the evening without more careful checking😳

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Im new to BT Fibre and noted yesterday after a new install my speeds were very slow. I restarted the hub and speeds increased. I work in IT and find that the hubs always cause issues hence why i will be moving away from the BT hub and on to my own. Maybe this could resolve your issues.

The hubs remind me of the virgin superhub  issues, same problem.

0 Ratings