cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13

BT refusal to upgrade my broadband to full fiber

Go to solution

Can anybody explain the following and offer any help?  I live in the country and been limited to around 20Mb for years, always paid a premium to BT for the best service, as I work from home.  Last summer full fiber came to my road, to the post that currently provides twisted pair to my house.  In December last my current contract period finished so I looked forward to speeds of 100Mb plus.  My attempts to upgrade met with, represents several calls.

1.  You do not have full cable in your area - not true I watched them install it and my neighbough who shares the same pole has it.

2. Well then Openreach have not told us you have - can you check and update please as thy have written to me to confirm I do and have given me a case number?

3. I will log it but it will take 14 days and computer still says no

4. Chasing up my enquiry, computer says no, I will chase it, do you want to record a complaint - yes

still waiting any response 3 months later.

In the meantime I check offers from BT for my house, without signing in, and can get deals up to 900Gb.  When I sign in no chance to upgrade is offered, beyond my current package 20Gb.  it is not a question of money, even though a 100Gb package with my current benefits would be roughly half my current tariff,  they simply do not offer a higher throughput package, what is going on?  As a "valued" customer of BT for many years why am I so apparently undervalued, Sky and others are very keen to have my business at all sorts of speeds

Has anyone had a similar experience?  If so how did you resolve it?

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Re: BT refusal to upgrade my broadband to full fiber

Go to solution

enter your phone number and post result  remember delete number

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 13

Go to solution

If your immediate neighbours either side can get FTTP is most likely an addressing issue .

Post the return for your phone number ( unless on DV ) from this checker , you can use the address option but it’s not as accurate, obscuring any identifying info.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

also post a neighbours return that can get FTTP and the proximity to your address , like next door attached semi , next door detached, over the road etc.

It is the case that ‘PON’ boundaries exist, and there are occasions where neighbours are either side of the boundary, so one can get FTTP the other cannot, but there would normally also be a ‘natural’ boundary, like the addresses are separated by a footpath or road , so although ‘ next door’ they are sufficiently separated that they are on different PON’s , and one PON ( passive optical network ) is built , the other yet to be built.

You can always approach Openreach with a ‘my neighbour can get FTTP but I cannot’ , that gets a network check , all an ISP can really do is check if your address shows availability, if it doesn’t ( even if that’s a mistake ) there isn’t a lot they can do , with the proviso that if your recorded address (held by BT/OR ) is different to the Royal Mail database entry  , any error could cause a failure , and it may need a ORDI check , where the record is amended to match the Royal Mail entry.

Is there anything unusual about your address , like a house name rather than a house number , or your address is part of a subdivided property ?, these issues can cause addresses to have no match on the OR database.

Message 4 of 13

Go to solution

Thanks for your response, as I said in my post Openreach confirmed my property is elligible,  someone just needs to run the cable, as they have for my neighbour.  Since last summer when the Openreach work took place I have had at least 4 offers from companies, including BT to give me full fiber.  They all found my address and I assume were triggered by something to do with an updatd on the Openreach register.  When I check on line my property is listed as full fiber for any number of suppliers, again including BT .  This was not the case before last summer when BT superfast and similar from other providers, was the best I could expect.  So it would seem that everyone who has an interest in  providing full fiber to my property, apart from a part of BT, and the fiber engineers believe they can run a short length of fiber to a box on my house and provide fast streaming. Regarding an address issue, prior to direct debit BT always managed to find my address for the bills which is exactly the one that you find on any product search, BT or other supplier.  I do not see why there should be an issue based on the above, however if there is why are BT not proactive in resolving the matter as they promised?  Perhaps it is to do with the large bill I pay on  regular basis, despite my preference maybe it is time to throw in the towel and change supplier

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 13

Go to solution

Can you post the results from the dslchecker as that will show what is available to you and then we can take it from there

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 13

Go to solution

After all the technical info it states.

"FTTP is available and a new OTN may be ordered"

Which in my laymans terms means that there is no technical reason why BT should not offer full fiber and hence high speeds.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 13

Go to solution

If the BTw checker shows Openreach FTTP available for your address , then the only way that BT wouldn’t or couldn’t provide service over it , would be if BT didn’t have the necessary cable links at the headend, this is very unlikely.
If you are getting nowhere using the normal ordering channels, try the BT FTTP customer service number , 08005874787
This apparently diverts to regular customer service if outside their normal business hours or if busy , if it does that , simply hang up and try again or try during normal office hours 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 13

Go to solution

Sorry that was a typo "ONT may be ordered" ie optical network terminal.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 13

Go to solution

Thanks I will try that

Regards

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 13

Go to solution

@Grumpywombat wrote:

After all the technical info it states.

"FTTP is available and a new OTN may be ordered"

Which in my laymans terms means that there is no technical reason why BT should not offer full fiber and hence high speeds.

Can you just post the information from the dslchecker or is there some reason for your reluctance