cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

BT smart hub problems

Go to solution

Hi, really need some help with this one I just don't know what to do.  Just for some info our Internet is normally connected about 70mbs and normally downloads about 8-9mbs.

My problem started a year or so ago when one evening our bt smart hub decided that it was now a plus net router. I could see this by going to 192.168.1.254 and instead of the normal bt hub options I had plus net and could not log in as admin ad the password was wrong. It was definitely my router because i could recognise the connected devices. We still had Internet but it was very slow actual downloads were 800kbs to 1.5mbs.  After speaking to BT they sent us out a new router which was a smart hub 2 and it worked great for about 6-7 months and then one evening same issue slow laggy Internet and the router again was saying it was plusnet. Again complained to BT and they sent an engineer to test the line and one came out tested the line to the house and it was fine but when I showed him the router page he said he had never seen that before and it wasn't an issue for him to look at. This was in February of this year after googerling for info I managed to set up a BT router as a bridge to another router and that was working fine until yesterday when the BT router decided to reverted all its changes and was showing as a plus net router. Luckily I had a brand new BT smart hub still in the box unused from the previous problems but when I plugged it in it instantly showed as a plus net router and our Internet speeds are still slow and laggy.

Any help and advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks 

Tom 

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: BT smart hub problems

Go to solution

Do you know if any of your neighbours are Plusnet customers or if you live in a block of flats or a detached house if you and any of your neighbours use powerline adaptors?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Not in flats, I believe my neighbour is with plusnet not sure if she uses the powerlines but I do.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

There have been previous reported when powerline adaptors are being used that there is a "crossover" between neighbours when their electrical lines run along side each other. Try resetting the powerline adaptors and change/use the password to be able to connect to them. 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

Thanks for your response. I will try in the morning and check with my neighbour if she has any as well. I will come back to let you know the out come.   🙂

Thanks

Tom

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

Thanks you were 100% correct, tried to reset the powerlines but it made no difference. I removed them all and just connected every device with WIFI and the plusnet router has disappeared and my speed has gone back to normal. thank you again!

Thanks

Thomas  

0 Ratings