cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 1

Basic questions about fibre to premises

Although full fibre to my premises is not yet available at my address, Openreach have been doing a lot of work on the street with blue cable underground I think in some kind of drain I assume and then a black cable to each wooden telephone pole including the one on street by my house. Round the corner some new kind of black metal pole is going up today with the street dug up too (hopefully not yet another ulez camera there but might be new telecoms work).

So I am just doing my  very early tentative research so see if we would want it and have a few basic questions:

1.  I want it to come round to the back of my house to my office where I need the best signal - currently I am wired in there on the broadband line/landline direct to my computer. Is that possible eg can you tell the man where to bring it into the house and does it come under ground with the drive and even side of house dug up or does it go over the copper wires from wooden pole in street?

I went out earlier and our telecoms set up looks terribly complicated in terms of cabling- the early 90s last owners even had an internal switchboard with lines to each room in a domestic house )!) although they took that with them when they left. I had 6 BT lines to the house at one point including fax, landline, alarm etc etc. I am now down to three. Looking at it today there are 4 cables/wires off the wooden pole in the street to the corner at front of my house. Those go down into top of garage and across to a very complicated box with loads of wires in it in the garage which I think is the BT or open reach nerve centre as it were if a telecoms man were to come to the house.

Then at least 2 cables go  from there out the back and round back of house  along the wall and one goes into my home office at back of house - I can see inside  my office a very old fashioned BT grey covered thing there (and an unused now socket for where  the fax machine used to plug in on its own number - now cancelled).  Then the BT thing must lead to the two landlines (two separate numbers) that ring on my office desk and one with broadband which come into my home office.

Going back to the garage, a lot of other BT / openreach wires go up into various other parts of the house.

So I suppose my ideal is that the new FTTP goes directly into my office at back of house and I can connect it directly to my computer at which I sit just about all the time and the rest of the house has brilliant wifi.

2. However we currently have 2 separate BT accounts and lines to the house(which you cannot have with full fibre) because no matter what boosters we use upstairs including 2 flights up and right across the house we cannot get reasonable wifi signal currently from downstairs right to upstairs left, so have the second BT hub and line 2 flights up on left side of house which is the signal people use upstairs like my sons who work from home 2 - 4 days a week now since covid on teams calls etc.

It is absolutely vital the 3 of us can work from here with very good signal so I don't want to do anything to jeopardise that. Currently they have a cable from upstairs router (BT hub - the upstairs one )  to their 2 desk set ups in different rooms upstairs to their PCs (it would be very long way to send a cable from my downstairs room up to them across the house). They also use wifi on work lap tops up there which have to be on their  work network and cannot be cabled in and currently use the upstairs BT hub on the wireless from there that seems to work okay.  It may not however work okay if we go down to one hub downstairs with FTTP.

So my second question is if we get full fibre into my downstairs office will that be such a powerful  better signal we would not need the second line and hub etc upstairs as it would mean brilliant wifi all over the large  house on all floors or would it mean I have very good signal downstairs in my office and I ruin the working lives of the boys upstairs with a much worse set up than now?

I pay for 2 separate BT hubs/ BB accounts (and a 3rd telephone line) in part to ensure if one line is down we always have the other so it is a kind of safety net. May be we could get full fibre on one account and keep the slower internet on the second hub account but I don't think FFTP allows one home to have the new FFTP and keep an older connection too.

3. If FFTP became available would that lose me my BT two separate landline numbers? I can probably live with losing one of those but must keep the other for work related reasons. We are not yet on Digital Voice but as we are outer London will be brought into it later this year. I have been a BT customer since the 1980s so no other providers involved.

0 Ratings