cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Bridge tap

HI 

i noticed on the wholesale line checker i have a bridge tap on my line can i ask for this be removed. I have read that it can be bad for VDSL connections and cause interference on the line. 

Thanks  

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Bridge tap

A bridge tap can only be removed by an engineer and even then can be a problem to find. Quite often changing your line to a different pair will solve the problem. Disconnecting any unused extentions in your home may resolve it.

If the bridge tap is before the master socket then it is Openreach who have the responsibility to remove it. If after the master socket then it is your responsibility and would be chargeable if an Openreach engineer did it (entirely down to their report on the fault).

Personally, I would disconnect all extentions from the master socket, order the service and if there was a problem report a fault. There are ways we can detect the problem here and advise you what to do.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Thanks for the reply, 

I have Fibre at the moment and only have a master socket in my house but seem to have noise on the line. 

Normally a few times a year OR are out to fix the line despite the fact fibre has been on pole outside for 4 years. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

What do you mean by "seem to have noise on the line", you either have or you haven't and the easiest way to check is with a corded phone. 17070 option 2, the line should be totally silent between announcements. No if's or maybes, it's either silent or not.

If there is any noise then report a noisy line fault, not a broadband one.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Please can you tell which BT department to ask for or which number to ring to request Bridge Tap removal. ? Current contacts are not familiar with a Bridge Tap. Many thanks

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

A Bridge Tap is just the Americanism for Star Wiring.

I’m not entirely sure why BT Wholesale started putting it on the Wholesale Checker as 99.9% of the time a Bridge Tap, aka Star Wiring is something beyond the NTE, usually the way multiple Extension Sockets are wired in Parallel as opposed to Series or Star Wiring at the Cable Joint where the line enters the house.

I can only assume they know a Bridge Tap is on the line from the Exchange Night Time Routine Testing.

There is no physical equipment BT and or Openreach put on the line anywhere that would amount to Star Wiring. In fact the only similar line fault that resembles Star Wiring would be an Unbalanced Cable, that’s where your line comes into contact with another that has no Battery or Earth Conditions. But that would just show as a Line Fault, not a Bridge Tap/Star Wiring.

0 Ratings