cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 15

Broadband Availability Checker / Contract Speeds / Ofcom Codes of Practice

(Sorry do not know why no spaces were included in my original post)

Hello, Currently EE customer but EE say their systems are controlled by BT.

Have had FTTC VDSL FibrePlus Broadband for six years. Current speed 48.99mbps. Contract speeds 46 - 67mg. min 39mg. Recently went to regrade but was told by EE agent that the option for Fibre Plus is greyed out. They explained probably have a fault.

Engineer checked line stated everything ok and within normal speed limit. Then got a text message saying your line is working within estimated speed. Fault closed.

Now EE are saying it must be because EE have signed up to Ofcom Code of Pratice. I requested details of my line and details of how my line does not meet the Ofcom code of Practice. EE refused to engage of provide any details. Instead they just keep saying your 'we can not offer you Fibre Plus because of the Ofcom code of practice' but still no details.

I looked at the BT Broadband Availability Checker and it reports my line as 48.99mbps. It also has Downstream Handback Threshold Range A 49mg, Range B 44mg. The EE broadband guaranteed speed for Fibre Plus is 39mg. Any help welcome.

Sick of banging my head against a wall trying to get EE to provide specifics or proof of anything. Frustrated that EE will not acknowledge the Openreach engineer report or their own text stating my line speed is with in their speeds limit.

One questtion is who sets the Downstream Handback Threshold, what exactly does it mean and how does it relate to the the EE contractual broadband guaranteed speed for Fibre Plus.

It would be usual also if I could get historic readings of the BT Broadband Availability Checker. Do they exist? Very grateful for any help.

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

Re: Broadband Availability Checker / Contract Speeds / Ofcom Codes of Practice

Many thanks.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 15

@SobsPhonewrote:

Hello, Currently EE customer but EE say their systems are controlled by BT.

Try asking on the EE community forum https://community.ee.co.uk/

EE are owned by the BT Group but EE broadband is still separate (for now) to BT, the BT community moderator team can help BT customers, as you're with EE you'll need to ask them.

I hope you find the answers you're looking for 🙂

Message 4 of 15

Its a BT checker!!

Geez! What an insane world we live in. Thanks for nothing. I'll just keep banging my head against a wall!

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 15

It's actually a BT Wholesale who owns the checker and not just for BT Consumer the service provider who just use BT wholesale to deliver their broadband services.

This forum is for BT Consumer customers who need help with their services provided to them by BT Consumer brand.

BT Wholesale is the wholesaler of broadband services that is used by EE, PlusNet and BT Consumer.

https://www.btwholesale.com/products-and-services/data/broadband.html

The BT Group plc covers a lot of subsidiaries so it can be confusing if you just say BT as underneath the group there's different ownership, brands and responsibilities.

Message 6 of 15

Hi @SobsPhone,

Just so you are aware, we are BT Retail. The speed checker that you are talking about is for a different company called BT Wholesale. Please follow the advice that @-Richie- replied to you with as EE should be doing everything they can to help you.

Thanks
DanielS

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 15

Oh well, based on yourt response, it would be awful if, after banging my head against a wall for three months and not getting any useful information, someone here had some useful information to move my issue forward.

(noting also that EE staff now use BT systems)

Thanks again for you help.

(you obviously do know the answer. you should get a job at EE)

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 15

The ‘wholesale’ checker gives the predicted speed , as an EE customer, you will probably need to use your address,

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Post the entire return for your ‘line’

If the predicted speeds are such that EE equivalent of BT Fibre 2 , which is upto 80Mb , is not achievable by your ‘line’ , then it follows that they may not offer it , if the speed is predicted to be comfortably in excess of 55Mb the limit of the BT Fibre 1 product, then it does seem odd that EE don’t appear to offer the higher speed band , but ultimately it’s down to them.

If you want to upgrade to the higher speed profile because according to the DSL checker it should be available , because the predicted line speed is in the appropriate range , obviously you could change provider to one that will offer it , if you can find a provider that will offer the higher speed.

As an EE customer, should any ‘official’ support , available to BT Customers on this forum , obviously your issue couldn’t be investigated by them , hence the suggestion to try the EE community forum 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 15

Looks like an issue with the EE system. I'm on Fibre 2 with a download of 60Mb & EE don't offer me Fibre Plus either. Why that is only EE can tell you - or not.

But if they don't want you as a customer, as they seem to have demonstrated to date, why don't you simply move to another ISP? Factor in cashback from one of the main sites & you'll almost certainly be better off.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 15

Thank you. Thats exactly what I thought. There seems to be a problem with different packages and how the Ofcom Code of Pratice applies. EE have refused to supply any specifics or any information about my line speed. Therefore also no information about my contractual minimum in relation to the Ofcom Code of Pratice. The purpose of asking here was because EE do not have a very good forum. I have an OpenReach office near me. Going to pop in and speak to them about who sets the Handback value which the Ofcom Code of Practice seems to be based on. But yes in longer term am going to come back to BT. They used to be the best but I got good singnal with EE on mobile. Thats why I changed as a packge deal. Thanks for your help. Appreciated.
0 Ratings