cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

Broadband speed has halved

For some reason today my broadband speed has dropped from the average of 79-80mb down to 32mb and none of my streaming services are working properly.

Rang up expecting to talk to support guy only to be met with a crapbot that tells me there's nothing wrong with my line. Yet i can tell you there clearly is as my speed has dropped by more than half.

Wont put me through to a technician and just tells me to check the website for a guide on how to restart the modem WTF guys,

For years ive been with you ive rated you highly and constantly pormoted you as a the company to go to precisely because you dont use crapbots and you get through to someone in person, who almost always fixes things on that one call. Now your pulling the crapbot garbage.

If i cant get my speed back im gonna leave BT regardless of contract or no, since i work from home and need the speed where it was. Very disapointed in the way BT has turned from being one of the best to now being one of the worst.

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: Broadband speed has halved

This is just a customer to customer help forum, everyone here, including myself, are just customers and will not be able to deal with any issues relating to your account.

The only BT Employees are the forum moderators, who may offer to help, when everything else has been tried.

Try calling 0330 1234 150

You can message BT using the "message us" links on the help pages. That is usually effective.

https://www.bt.com/help/contact-bt

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 12

Ive done all that it just sends me round in circles. Runs tests, says all is fine, tells me to use the site to restart the router.

And of course, they text me telling me theyve done their test and if i still have a problem to text "callback"to that number. but of course that fails with "failed to deliver"reply

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

I assume you are connected using a direct Ethernet cable, and not over Wi-Fi?

Other forum members may have some suggestions, but if the BT auto test shows that the speed between the BT network and the home hub is correct, then the issue has to be on your own local network.

On an FTTC connection, half speed can be caused by a disconnection on one wire of the copper pair. If you have a normal PSTN phone, then you also lose dial tone.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

Thats the thing, THEY arent showing as correct. I've had 79-80mb for YEARS. Today it's dropped to 32mb. The test said the speed from the box to my router was 32mb and from my router to my device, regardless of wired or wifi, was 32mb.

So clearly it's a line problem
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

I don`t suppose you still have a phone connected to your line?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

no, havent had a phone in the house in years lol

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

Plugging a phone in, and checking for dial tone, is a basic check, while the PSTN network is still in use. Apart from that, I have no other suggestions apart from to keep reporting the fault. 

https://www.bt.com/help/report-and-track-your-bt-problem

Also,

Use the address checker on the page below, and post the results, but edit out your address details first, but leave the exchange name and cabinet number showing.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

thanks for trying atleast lol. More help than BT themselves have been, im still stat listening to their music on the phone and have been for over an hour now.

In the mean time im looking at vodaphone, 200 a year cheaper than BT and with a higher speed garunteee. Though to be fair all garuntee's are only good till you run into a problem haha.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

Changing ISPs isn't going to make any difference to this problem - Vodafone will be delivering service over the same copper pair, so if the line has a problem then it will affect any ISP using it.

Obviously you might have other reasons to switch, but it's not going to solve the issue you're seeing now.

0 Ratings