cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

Broadband speed query

Go to solution

We have Fibre 1 and I'm looking to get a better deal. I'm confused about the speed we are projected to receive.

When I do a speed test, we are getting 49Mbs.  However BT and other providers tell us we can expect only 7Mbs.

What is going on here? Are they just being ultra cautious about their speed promises? Or have they got something wrong in their information about our address?

Thanks for any help!

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: Broadband speed query

Go to solution

No idea, but if you are getting 49 now you will get 49 with any new deal

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

Thanks very much, that's good to know. So every provider can give us the same service? 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

Yes, unless you move to Virgin, all will use the same Openreach network. Your speed is fundamentally governed by the distance from the green cabinet and the laws of physics.

What does the checker show for your phone number https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

@licquorice 

For info, zzoomm (no spelling mistakes)have built their own network, it's pretty new at the moment and, to the best of my knowledge, it isn't available nationwide yet but the intention is there

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

Not sure which of these numbers are important! Thanks!

Screenshot_20230123-182254.png

Screenshot_20230123-182318.png

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

You probably should check that the FTTC ‘cabinet’ has capacity for ‘new’ customers, and isn’t showing as ‘waiting list’ ,it could be the 7Mb prediction is because only ADSL is available for new customers, if you change provider you would be a new customer with that company , however if you have FTTC and are simply looking to negotiate a better price , it’s irrelevant, what speed you get now will be the same with a new deal , that is just an administrative change in BT billing , nothing to do with the equipment providing the service, it’s if you change provider when things could change.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

According to that, your line is capable of between 68M and 80M. Presumably you have fibre1 which is capped at 55M hence 49M speed test. No idea where the 7M figure came from.

You have chopped off the right hand portion of the screenshot, does it say 'waiting list' or 'available' for the top 2 lines?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

@Les-Gibson wrote:

@licquorice 

For info, zzoomm (no spelling mistakes)have built their own network, it's pretty new at the moment and, to the best of my knowledge, it isn't available nationwide yet but the intention is there

So have a lot of other alt-nets, but they will all be full fibre not FTTC.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

It says available top two lines and in a lot of other lines too.

Does this mean we should be safe to move provider without losing speed?

I'd prefer to stay with BT but as an existing customer their prices are not really competitive.

Thanks very much for your help!

0 Ratings