cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 26

Full Fibre 900 stayfast guarantee of 17Mb

Hi

I am having a problem with my FF 900 install. When ordering I was told my estimated stayfast speed would be 700 Mbps. Now my account is telling me its only 17Mbps.

According to the BT app and Fast checker I am getting download speeds to the hub in the region of 240 Mbps. I am approx. 1.2 miles from the exchange and 200 feet from the box in my street.

Openreach engineers have visited and check the lines and everything is ok and they believe my line is capable of getting the guaranteed minimum of 700 Mbps.

The hub has been swapped out and checks confirm it is working.

I have been in contact with BT many times and they are telling me that they need to halt my service and reboot it. This will leave me with no service for at least three days. And it may not fix the issue.

In addition, my digital voice while paired to the hub is telling me that I cant make or receive calls, and the hub manager is telling me voice is not activated. However I have had confirmation messages telling it has been activated.  

My latest complaint has been closed down and i have been given only the choice of live with it or switch off and reboot.

Can anyone advise.

Cheers

Anticlock

0 Ratings
25 REPLIES 25
Message 2 of 26

Re: Full Fibre 900 stayfast guarantee of 17Mb

You won't get 700, unless you are connected directly to the ONT, the hub is not capable of those speeds

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 26

@Robbo_0410 wrote:

You won't get 700, unless you are connected directly to the ONT, the hub is not capable of those speeds

So how do other people who have the 900 package achieve higher speeds than 700 and why is the forum not swamped with complaints?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 26

@ant1cloc

In view of the apparent inability for BT to resolve this I have notified the moderators of the forum about your problem. Once they have read this they may be able to help. They will advise you by posting on this thread.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 26

Hi @ant1clock

Welcome to the community and thank you for posting!

I am sorry for the problems your having with your broadband speed.  I have sent you a private message with instructions on how you can send us over your details and we'll look into this for you. See: Private messages

Thanks,

Robbie

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 26

@gg30340 I've had engineers/home tech out for the same problem, the router is not WiFi 6 so is not capable of getting those speeds wirelessly was there answer, funny that I bought a WiFi 6 router and still can't get 700 minimum, thing is BT did not tell me this when they were rolling out full fibre in my area, technically paying for a service that they are not providing the full benefits of, all they say is the stayfast of 700 is from the exchange to the hub but I won't get that to my devices, again false advertising, max I get is 400 and that is wired via a BT disk

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 26

Or more likely engineers that don't know what they are talking about and looking for an out because they can not fix a fault.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 26

@Robbo_0410 

Connections via the BT disc, are still via wireless.

You are unlikely to get anything like the full speed over wireless, on a single device, also devices are optimised for download speed not upload speed.

It was never intended that people get full speed on all devices, especially on a wireless connection. The intention is to allow that bandwidth to be shared among family members and multiple devices, without each user noticing any slowdown.

Here is a quote from old post by @SeanD  on 18/06/2021

"I think for the first time ever we are in a situation whereby the speed you can now get through Full Fibre outperforms the capabilities of many devices.  

The Smart hub 2 does not come with Wi-Fi 6 but this is something we are looking to include in our next generation of Hub.  I don't have any info as to when we will launch a new router by Wi-Fi 6 will bring some improvement.

As an example of what I mean in terms of devices not being able to support the full breadth of speed available on Full Fibre , take a look at the table below.  This is just for a couple of Apple Smart Phones and Tablets along with  popular Samsung models,

Apple (Smartphones) Dualband (2.4 & 5Ghz) Theoretical Max speed on 2.4Ghz connection Theoretical Max speed on 5Ghz connection
IPHONE SE Yes 60mbps 300mbps
IPHONE SE 2020 Yes 135mbps

600mbps

Samsung (Smartphones) Dualband (2.4 & 5Ghz) Theoretical Max speed on 2.4Ghz connection Theoretical Max speed on 5Ghz connection
galaxy-s10e Yes 135mbps 600mbps
galaxy-s10-5g Yes 135mbps 600mbps

Apple (Tablets) Dualband (2.4 & 5Ghz) Theoretical Max speed on 2.4Ghz connection Theoretical Max speed on 5Ghz connection
IPAD pro 3rd gen (Nov 2018) Yes 135mbps 600mbps
IPAD pro 4th gen (March 2020) Yes 135mbps 600mbps

Samsung (Tablet) Dualband (2.4 & 5Ghz) Theoretical Max speed on 2.4Ghz connection Theoretical Max speed on 5Ghz connection
galaxy-tab-s5e Yes 100mbps 300mbps
galaxy-tab-s6 Yes 60mbps 600mbps

Message 9 of 26

Why is the stayfast guarantee 700 then? You get nowhere near that, and the examples of speeds are on 2.4ghz, it's pretty much double that on 5ghz, so about 300-400 max like I said, I have a WiFi 6 3rd party router and the speeds are exactly the same, and yes the speeds are still good even when multiple devices are using the bandwidth I get that point 👍

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 26

The stayfast guarantee refers to the line speed to the hub not the WIFi speed which is set out in the relevant IEEE802.11 specification