cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Broadband stopped working for me and my neighbours but BT can’t find a fault

At 5pm last night the internet simply stopped working for many of us in my street.

Some apps work - like Facebook and Insta.

Google search works on a browser but that’s as far as you can get.

Everyones Routers and Modems are all fine as Smart Devices are connected.

A few of us have contacted BT who ran tests and they say our lines have no faults.

It’s now been like this for over 12 hours 

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Broadband stopped working for me and my neighbours but BT can’t find a fault

Hi @Fatboyslick1 and welcome back.

Thanks for posting about your connection. Are you on full fibre? Do you have an ONT? If so what colour are the lights? 

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Re: Broadband stopped working for me and my neighbours but BT can’t find a fault

Hi

I have full fibre. Don’t know what ONT is.

Lights on modem are yellow.

im watching YouTube via SkyQ now but internet browsing on devices doesn’t work

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

Thanks for getting back @Fatboyslick1 .

Check Openreach modem (ONT) explained: Ports and models available | BT Help for help with the ONT. All lights should be green.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Thanks. Theres 4 LEDs and three are green but LOS is off

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

It sounds like a potential DNS issue, try changing your DNS nameservers

E.g:

https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

As I mentioned, the whole street is having true exact same issue so I’m struggling to believe it’s localised to my own connection. Happy to be proven wrong though. Done all the reboots and power downs already 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

The reason for thinking it's a DNS nameservers issue is that some apps and sites still work which could be down to those apps having their own name resolvers or using something like DNS over HTTPS.

Also assuming those having issues are all BT Customers with smart hub/smart hub 2?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Ok will give that a go thanks

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

An update: I haven’t don’t the DNS change as it is too technical for me to do properly.
All the BT, Sky and Openreach engineers my estate are having visit haven’t got a clue either - they seem to think it’s an issue at the Exchange….and then it goes dead!!! No further updates or ideas

0 Ratings