cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Bt Fibre Broadband Installation

As a current BT Unlimited Broadband user, I phoned BT for info about the broadband packages on offer in My BT. I was told that for Fibre 1 and Fibre Essential the copper wire from the street to my home would need to be replaced with fibre cable. I had thought these options could still use copper wire.

I said I hoped that did not mean my expensive drive would have to be dug up to install the cable because according to BT’s Broadband Availability Checker there was ducting from the street to my house, but she wasn’t certain if that would do the job.

I decided to go for Fibre 100 as it costs only a few pence more.  A date for an engineer's survey was agreed and I was assured that I could cancel if I was unhappy about the driveway issue.

BT confirmed the contract and engineer’s visit by email. It said that the contract would start on 21st October, but my understanding is that it is the date the engineer is doing the survey, not the activation date.  I phoned BT again to check and was told that the fibre broadband modem would also be fitted on 21st, assuming I do not cancel the contract.  The first customer service rep did not mention this.

My head was spinning after the calls, and I don’t know who or what to believe. I’d appreciate it if someone could clarify whether the advice I have received is accurate or not.

Many thanks!

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Bt Fibre Broadband Installation

If your address is already fed underground by duct , then there is no pre-installation visit , it’s assumed that the existing duct will be OK , housing built after 1990 is usually ducted .
If the house is underground service but DIG ( direct in ground armoured cable ) then an excavation from the footpath to house wall is required to bury the new optical cable , if the entire frontage of the address is hard landscaping ( driveway ) then obviously that hard surface will be disturbed, if there is a soft surface ( grass ) then obviously the excavation is in the soft surface.
https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/AddressHome
You can check what type of installation OR expect to do at the URL above

it looks like this ( this example is for a modern ducted property) 

Our records show the following FTTP network service information for these premises:-Single Dwelling Unit Residential UG Feed with no anticipated issues.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

Thanks for your quick reply.  I had already checked the link you sent and it states "Our records show the following FTTP network service information for these premises: Single Dwelling Unit Residential UG premises served by 2.5 inch plastic duct 56." It doesn't mention "no anticipated issues".  The BT customer services rep. said it must have an engineer's survey.  House was built c. 1981.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

I have discovered something odd.  For my next door neighbour it says "Single Dwelling Unit Residential UG partial Direct In Ground".  Their house is attached to mine and identical.  The only thing I can think of is that about twenty years ago I had an issue with my telephone line and they had to dig up the street and under my garden.  Could they have installed ducting then?  Either that or they have made a mistake about my premises.

0 Ratings