cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Can BT full fibre reuse Virgin Media's ducts (fibre cables)

Go to solution

Dear Sir/Madam

I am looking to switch from Virgin Media fibre(M200) to BT's full fibre(500MB). I want to know whether virgin's fibre cables (I believe it is fibre to home) need to be changed as well up to the point where the wall socket is? 

I don't want to rewire it up to the property wall again from the pavement because it was a complex wiring setup when virgin did it 3 years ago.

Thanks in advance

Kai

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Can BT full fibre reuse Virgin Media's ducts (coaxial cables)

Go to solution

@atinject 

Welcome to this user forum.

No Virgin Media have their own network which is separate to Openreach`s. Openreach would normally use the existing route that your telephone line would take.

You should be able to locate your telephone master socket, which would have a BT or Openreach logo on it, although you will not be using it a the moment if you get your phone service from VM.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution
Thank you. I didn't know BT full fibre uses telephone socket to get in to the property. I don't seem to have a telephone master socket, which would have a BT or Openreach logo on it. Does that mean the engineer need to rewire mg telephone line to install the master socket first?
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

BT Full Fibre = FTTP - Fibre to the Premises.

At the moment your broadband and phone? are provided by Virgin.

Your house may well have BT copper cabling to it. If this is overhead you would obviously see it. If it ducted to your property then somewhere on the outside wall you should see the BT cable emerging from the duct.

All being well this is the route the BT fibre would take to get to your house. At that point you will have some discretion and to where the fibre enters your property and where the two bits of kit - a modem and router go.

It is possible that there is no current BT cable to your property or that there is but it is of a vintage where things were not ducted but just buried in the ground. Which would complicate but not necessarily prohibit  FTTP installation.

Have you checked whether BT FTTP is available to your property?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings icon. If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted solution’
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution
Thank you. I can see BT cabling (black copper cable ducted in a black rubber pipe thing) in my garage. Yes I checked the availability and FTTP is available in my area.
0 Ratings