cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 21 of 29

Re: Can VDSL be 'removed' from a line?

If the island has a Facebook group it would be worth joining that. Both to introduce yourself to your new neighbours & ask what services they have. You could even appeal for the local OR engineer to assist in resolving the issue, or at least point you in the right direction.

In the meantime, what is mobile data coverage like? If it's decent then an 4/5G router with a SIM might be an alternative. Again your neighbours will have direct experience of best networks  rather than relying on coverage checkers.

0 Ratings
Message 22 of 29

The observed speed of 45Mbps may have been when an Openreach Engineer connected his/her Tester with Sync and a Working Data Session to the line at the PCP and or somewhere else in the Network that was close to the PCP.

0 Ratings
Message 23 of 29

Just by way of an update - I phoned BT again, armed with the new found confidence from this thread. Went down the 'tech support' route and explained the issue.

The person I spoke to was fantastic, heard me out, suggested a few things I had heard before - We can only give you ADSL etc - But heard me out further and then spoke to a few other teams she had access to.

What ever system BT are using (she wasnt using the BT Wholesale checker) told them I could have ADSL or full fibre. I again persisted there should be a middle ground, FTTP wasn't an option, FTTC should be.

Long story short, after speaking with sales support, they found out they could (in theory) order FTTC for other people in my area, houses a stones throw from me, but my address won't allow them to.

At a first glance their initial systems imply that no one has FTTC in the area, upon further digging, it seems most do have it. As a result, a colleague of hers has submitted a form to Openreach requesting they update the details of my address to reflect that FTTC is an option which should take 5 working days. I guess this is the Openreach Data Integrity check?

I'm now waiting for that to come back and will update this thread with the outcome, unless mods want it closed? If this does solve it, I think @iniltous had it closest with the ORDI check - But a huge thank you to everyone who has contributed. Fingers crossed this resolves the problem!

0 Ratings
Message 24 of 29

Don't close the thread until it  is solved. You may yet need the assistance of the mods. Come back and let us know when and if it is solved.

Message 25 of 29

Still not much further with this - Though an engineer is coming on Monday to see if there is anything they can do - But they have logged it as a fault with the line, which it is not.

BT have confirmed my neighbors (a stones throw from me) have faster speeds, and that we're all connected to the same exchange & cabinet, but all the system will let them order is ADSL and therefore that is all I can ever get until Openreach change something.

The Openreach request BT put in for me resulted in "FTTP is not available" - Which I knew already.

Interestingly I have found if I put my phone number into the BT website it gives me estimated speeds of 1-3Mb, but when I go to the Plusnet website and put my number in, they will guarantee me a speed of 33.3Mb down - Kind of wish I could give that a go were I not in contract, its less than I am paying BT!

The helpdesk assistant who arranged the engineer to come out today, confirmed by their speed tests that my estimated speed down on ADSL was 1Mb (when I am getting 7). I asked her to run a test for FTTC and she said she could see an estimated speed of 2Mb, which she hastily added would be worse than the 7 I am getting right now. I'm sure the logic doesn't quite follow a linear pattern like that, but surely 2 > 1 and it should result in something a bit faster, maybe double?

A rather hopeless rant from myself, part out of frustration as I am losing hours everyday to waiting for work files to transfer - But I was wondering, if anyone had any tips for things I should be asking the engineer on Monday. I don't want to come across as someone stamping their feet and just repeating "faster" over and over again, but from everything I can see, what I have is below what is possible and the system speed estimates are wrong. After repeating myself call after call to BT I think I might be phrasing something wrong. ps. I'm always polite and calm, I've worked on help desks myself 🙂

0 Ratings
Message 26 of 29

Still no further - Openreach are hopefully getting around to taking a look at it, but still maintain that the originally quoted speeds are never going to be possible while FTTP doesn't exist. They're currently preoccupied with a number of repairs to equipment damaged by lightening so can't give me a date when it will be sorted. They're going to try to squeeze a couple of extra Mb/s from the line eventually though - They reckon they might be able to get me 10 or 11 down rather than 7.5.

In the interim, I've purchased a 4G router, external antenna and mounted it in the highest point of the house. I've the latency of two paper cups and a piece of string, but I can move the files I need to for work and am getting workable speeds, so my job are happy.

I know neither Openreach or BT are directly at fault, but I'm incredibly disappointed. From being promised nothing less than 70Mb/s down, I'm now getting a quarter of that by forking out extra cash and paying for a 4g data contract as well as a BT line and broadband that I'm locked into until 2024. They promised me they would set up basic broadband then get me the version with all the trimmings, so I'm stuck with a minimum guaranteed speed of 1Mb/s - I can't even argue the line isn't delivering what I am in contract with them for.

When I went down the complaint route, BT also said my area was up for FTTP soon. When I told the OR engineer this, he shook his head and laughed - Where I am is not commercially viable and won't be happening for a very long time.

Checking the R100 programme website, it seems to have been updated from "coming to your area soon" to "engage with a supplier for an alternative solution with a voucher of up to £5000". Catch is, none of the suppliers are interested.

All in, I've purchased a house with internet from the early 2000's and no hope of getting anything faster anytime soon. BTs assurances gave me confidence, as I couldn't ask the previous owner (deceased) so was simply dealing with an estate agent, but the data those assurances were based on turned out to be incorrect.

Word or warning to anyone getting estimated speeds from BT. Don't believe it until the order is fully complete!

Rant over, I do appreciate everyone's help and responses on here - thank you. Hopefully I join you with 21st century internet one day!

0 Ratings
Message 27 of 29

I think now we get the mods to try and see what they can do as you seem to have come to a dead end. As you have found so far it looks like a complicated situation but they are like a dog with a bone. They won't give up until every avenue is explored and will keep you fully updated along the way.

0 Ratings
Message 28 of 29

Hi @jjoelio,

Thank you for posting. I'm happy to take a look at this for you to see if there is anything we can do.

Do you happen to know where the FTTC cabinet is and how far away from your house it is? Do your closest neighbours have FTTC? 

If you send me your details, I'll be able to run a few checks. 

I have sent you a private message with instructions on how to contact the team.  You can access your messages via the envelope icon at the top right of the screen, or click on this link, Private messages

Thanks,

Paddy

Message 29 of 29

Thanks @PaddyB. Responded in DM

0 Ratings