cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

Changing from virgin fibre to bt fibre

Go to solution

Hi all ,

my parents have virgin fibre and would like to change to bt fibre, would they need new fibre cable installed from road to the house ? . Could the original virgin fibre cable be used to connect to bt? .

I have checked and BT fibre is available at their address , would it be a seamless connection for the phone tv broadband to be swapped over ?

Any advice much appreciated

thank you

justin

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: Changing from virgin fibre to bt fibre

Go to solution

BT fibre is completely separate to Virgin fibre. There is no 'switchover', a new BT service would be provided and the Virgin service ceased.

Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

It'd need to be a complete new installation as Openreach fibre and Virgin Media are completely different networks and technologies and are not interchangeable

Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

Virgin use their own infrastructure. BT uses Openreach's so if Openreach have either full fibre or Fibre to the Cabinet in your area it will be a different cable used to what Virgin Media gave you.

Message 5 of 11

Go to solution
Thank you for your reply.
Do you know how the installation process would work as far as the time frame of being disconnected
Thank you
Justin
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

It's entirely up to you, both systems can work in parallel if you don't want any disruption.

Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

As the systems are seperate why don't you put the cancelleation notice into VM to end the day after the BT install.

Don't forget you have to cancel VM as it is not done automatically when changing to another provider.

Message 8 of 11

Go to solution
I think I understand it now .
I will call bt and ask how long it would take to get the cable installed and connected, then we can cancel the virgin account when it’s up and running
Thank you
Justin
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

I have virgin Fibre ATM, i have had my driveway all done in Rezin just as the cables were layed from Virgin, i understand you say they are completely different cables needed from BT than Virgin, a friend of mine told me that he has just got BT 900 and theyt never had to lay cables, its all done from power lines above, is this correct? just i 100% am not having my driveway disturbed after it costing me £15000, please do tell me the drive will not need digging up and i think im in 😄

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

It's not done from the power lines.

In some areas the Openreach phone lines are fed from poles, in others they are fed underground. If your area has phone lines fed from poles, the chances are that the fibre will also be fed overhead. If they are fed underground then fibre will also be underground.

0 Ratings