Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Justinmac
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Changing from virgin fibre to bt fibre

Go to solution

Hi all ,

my parents have virgin fibre and would like to change to bt fibre, would they need new fibre cable installed from road to the house ? . Could the original virgin fibre cable be used to connect to bt? .

I have checked and BT fibre is available at their address , would it be a seamless connection for the phone tv broadband to be swapped over ?

Any advice much appreciated

thank you

justin

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Changing from virgin fibre to bt fibre

Go to solution

BT fibre is completely separate to Virgin fibre. There is no 'switchover', a new BT service would be provided and the Virgin service ceased.

NigelB72
Guru
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

It'd need to be a complete new installation as Openreach fibre and Virgin Media are completely different networks and technologies and are not interchangeable

jac_95
Guru
Guru
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

Virgin use their own infrastructure. BT uses Openreach's so if Openreach have either full fibre or Fibre to the Cabinet in your area it will be a different cable used to what Virgin Media gave you.

Justinmac
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution
Thank you for your reply.
Do you know how the installation process would work as far as the time frame of being disconnected
Thank you
Justin
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

It's entirely up to you, both systems can work in parallel if you don't want any disruption.

pippincp
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

As the systems are seperate why don't you put the cancelleation notice into VM to end the day after the BT install.

Don't forget you have to cancel VM as it is not done automatically when changing to another provider.

Justinmac
Beginner
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution
I think I understand it now .
I will call bt and ask how long it would take to get the cable installed and connected, then we can cancel the virgin account when it’s up and running
Thank you
Justin
0 Ratings