cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

Constant issues

Please can anyone help. BT and Openreach are driving me insane! 

When we first moved into this house 6 years ago, we had issues with our internet. Speeds aren't great, we're running 12-14mbps but we can cope with that, however what we cant cope with is as soon as we start doing anything like downloading or uploading (I'm a photographer, so my job is upload intensive) the speed, even run via ethernet, cuts down to 1-2mbps. Engineers have been out countless times  (well... on the days they turn up anyway... and hopefully got another one coming on Saturday) said theres no problem and the issue still persists. And the one engineer who came out and let me show him the problem, said he'd never seen that before, and he called another engineer who had never seen or heard of that issue. Literally sick to the teeth of running backwards and forwards now with the same old stories. My next door neighbour gets the exact same issue, however my mum and dad 4 doors down get 20mbps download and no issues when downloading or uploading. Has ANYONE had this issue and had it resolved? My life for the passed 12 months at least has been run via personal hotspot from my phone from the car. Have even had to hold meetings from my car because the speeds at home constantly cut out. 

Fibre isnt available at our postcode, however it does run passed the front door. 900mbps at the postcode 150m to the left, and 900mbps at the postcode 150m to the right. Completely bizarre way to set things up. 

literally at wits end. 

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: Constant issues

@andrewcockerill 

Check to see what is available

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Please edit out your phone number before you post the result, but leave the exchange name and cabinet number showing.

Message 3 of 11

Saturating the upstream will have a severe impact on the downstream. You need some sort of Quality of Service provision to limit the upload to around 80% of whatever your max is. This is to allow the two-way comms required to download, which aren't available if your upstream is maxed out during a large upload. What router do you have?

You may also want to look at scheduling your uploads overnight.

Message 4 of 11

This isn't always possible as sometimes it will take days to upload 200-300 images and it regularly fails and the whole process has to start again so I canstantly have to have an eye on it. But even smaller uploads - 10-15 images (2-3mb files) can take up to 45-50 minutes and the internet is completely unusable on all other devices.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

@rbz5416 

i completely understand that the line will be affected while theres uploads, but it literally loses about 90% of its speed and becomes unusable on all other devices! 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

@rbz5416 

sorry, I forgot to answer about the hub! 

it's the BT Homehub 6 and runs through the Mastersocket 5C

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

@andrewcockerill 

You are on a fibre (VDSL) connection. So your download speed is within range. Upload speed is determined by how good the high frequency response of your line is. 

Its best if you upload images to your forum gallery, and not to dropbox, as it allow them to be displayed on the forum.

As @rbz5416  has pointed out, you will lose most of your download speed if you fully utilise the upload path. Some form of rate control would help, so you can restrict the upload speed.

You may find that 4G broadband a better option, if you are in a good coverage area.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

@Keith_Beddoe 

Yeah I get that, but it happens when I download too. Once took 11 days to download a game on the xbox and couldn't use the internet at all while it was downloading. 

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

@Keith_Beddoe 

we had a 4G router arrive yesterday to test, but the speeds are lower than we're getting with BT and Openreach lines. 

0 Ratings