cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Continuous packet loss/Ping spikes and very low upload speed.

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me find a solution as BT have so far not been able to help me.

couple of weeks ago I started having issues gaming & using discord. on voice calls my voice is robotic and in any online game I lag around unable to do anything.

I've tried a few different devices in my household, Wired & Wireless and have the same issue.
Router/Modem - Smart Hub 2

when I run speed tests my download speed is fine, but my upload is very bad. I normally get around 15mb/s upload and I'm currently getting 0.3mb/s.

My ping is spiking up to the thousands too. 

I've ran CMD commands to ping google.com etc and I get a lot of "request timed out".

today a openreach engineer came out and tested the line and said it's squeaky clean, doesn't understand why the issues are happening. 
I have tried my old router and the issue is the same. I've also disconnected all other connections and tried it. reset the router to factory settings etc and no luck. 

please help if you can thanks, I'm willing to try anything I can to fix it.

Matt

@YtXh7ZY.pnghMZlVOy.pngP1cb6Ib.png

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Continuous packet loss/Ping spikes and very low upload speed.

You need to test whether this is an internal problem, especially since Openreach says the line is ok.

When you see these requests timing out to google; what device, on what connection, are you using? If ethernet, are you connected directly to the router?

At the time this occurs, you should also issue requests to your router and see if that times out - if it does, the problem is in your house.

"ping 192.168.1.254 -t" - this endlessly pings the router. The router is usually at that address. Press Ctrl + C to end.

It's best to run this test during a period of high packet use, such as when connected to a high tickrate game server, in order to stress the connection in a way that could trigger the issue.

I once ran ethernet through a wifi disc and had similar issues. The wifi disc could not handle the load it was receiving and so the latency would spike above 1s.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

No surprises as we suspect v0.33.00.12274 firmware has issues - still waiting BT to acknowledge it has bugs.

Search for this tag

v0.33.00.12274

Tags (1)
Message 4 of 9

I also have very very low upload. All been happening since the firmware updated on 07/04/2022.

2 engineer appointments booked, 2 engineers didn't show up. Outrageous.

I believe it's all linked to the firmware update.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

I'm starting to think it has something to do with the firmware also. 3 BT engineers booked now and not a single one has shown up. 

I've even had a complaint listed for a couple of weeks and heard nothing back from them. When I ring about an engineer not turning up they just repeat the process and book another which fails to attend.

I'm stuck in a spiral, and not sure how to take this issue further. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

That sounds exactly like what is happening to me.

2 Annual leave holiday days wasted at work, probably gonna have to waste more whilst praying Openreach arrive.

Another engineer booked for tomorrow, I bet they don't come. The BT operative on the phone actually booked a 2nd for thursday incase this one doesn't show, how outrageous is that!

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

Such a bad service from such a big company.

I've had a openreach engineer come out, he tested everything on the line etc and said its literally squeaky clean. So he left notes for bt saying its something on their end or the equipment they have given me. But still no fix. Good luck 👍

Let me know if you get anywhere with them as I have no luck.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Engineer showed up today, he said my line is squeaky clean despite the BT operative over the phone telling me I have high resistance on the line.

He "reset my fibre" and then it all worked well... for 2 hours then reverted back.

My new hub has turned up since running firmware version v0.24.04.11017-BT and my speeds as normal.

Nobody wants to admit it's the firmware it seems.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

a BT engineer finally turned up today after my 5th attempt. 

what was strange was this morning I ran a test, and for the first time in 4 weeks my speeds were fine and I was getting 0 packet loss. 

I mentioned to them that I think the firmware was the fault, but they checked and said there hasn't been a firmware update since March. 

they had no idea why it has randomly started working fine again after 4 months of being unusable. 

but I'm just happy it's finally fixed! 

0 Ratings