cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Damage to FTTP Grey box cover

Hi,

I'm looking to find out how to get a replacement cover for the grey box on the side of my house?  It's perished badly and is now falling to pieces due to age.  It will take on water but not sure thats a major issue since this is fibre.  I tried the openreach report damage line 0800 023 2023 but got stuck when the automated system did not cover this scenario.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Damage to FTTP Grey box cover

Is it causing a problem with your  BT broadband?  If not I doubt openreach will bother until there is a reported broadband problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

I'd read in other posts in this forum that people had successfully managed to get Openreach to replace.   It isn't currently causing broadband problems but it's obviously supposed to protect the contents from the elements which it no longer does and besides that, it looks awful and is one knock from falling off completely.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

I assume it was/is one of the older rectangular CSP’s that come in White, Grey and Brown.

I remember there was a dodgy batch of them where the chemical that’s supposed to protect them from UV Light was either missing or not enough of it was put in.

You might struggle to get on yourself as Openreach stopped using them sometime back and I’ve never seen any other Network Provider use them.

You’d be better off reporting it and have Openreach come out to fit one of the new ones as they’re a lot more ridged.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Great advice, thanks, and yes it's a really old rectangular grey one.  This house already had FTTP when we moved in 2014 so it's been there a while south facing.  I notice the neighbour has a new square style one so I'll have to ask how they got that.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

You’ll need to report it as a fault to your CP.

You might be able to buy one but in order to change it out you’ll have to break down the Fibres.

So as well as a new CSP you’ll also need some Splice Protectors 5a, a Fibre Stripping Tool, Lint Cleaning Wipes, Fibre Cleaning Fluid, a Fibre Cleaver and a Fusion Splicer, ideally a Core Aligning one, that’ll set you back a few thousand pound.

0 Ratings