cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13

Damaged caused during installation

Go to solution

I had my new fibre line installed a few days and after a few hiccups it's working great now but I still have one problem. During the install a large piece of brick was removed around the drill hole and a small metal ring was also left in the wall. The install was done near 6pm at night so was getting dark and I didn't check till morning. who should I see about getting this fixed since I'm worried about water getting in.

imageedit_3_9019102284.jpg

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Re: Damaged caused during installation

Go to solution

Not much can be done about a hole drilled from inside to out ‘blowing out’ some of the brick face , however it should be sealed against rain ingress, call BT ( if it’s BT you ordered service with ) or whatever ISP you used and ask for another visit to bring the installation upto scratch, or put some sealant in yourself.

It was Openreach or a OR contractor not BT that did the install  , and they should remedy any substandard work.

The attachment on the wall is probably to secure the ladder , and AFAIK is left in situ after the visit , it’s not removed .

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 13

Go to solution

That is not very good and regardless of the piece of brick breaking away the engineer should I think plugged the hole around the cable and done the decent thing and advised you of the damage.

This is a Q&A on Openreach's website so in the first instance you should contact your service provider.

What do I do if I have a complaint?

To raise a complaint, or enquiry, that relates to the provision of telephone/internet services, engineer appointments, faults or compensation, you’ll need to go through your Communications Provider. They in turn will contact us to resolve the matter on your behalf. This is because although Openreach is the network provider, your relationship is with your Communications Provider.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 13

Go to solution

As already stated the "blow out" of the brick is unavoidable and drilling in from outside would cause a bigger blow out of the internal plaster. Nevertheless that entry point shoul have been sealed to prevent water ingress.

As regards the ring you can thank Health and Safety rules for that, removing it would cause even more damage.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 13

Go to solution

Thanks, I won't hold it against the person who did the install since they didn't even have me down on their list for that day (MJ Quinn). But the whole install was rushed, the guy brought mud onto my carpet, didn't clean up the brick dust properly and didn't explain how to properly setup the digital voice adapter. I can sort all those things but I'm terrible at any DIY stuff so would like openreach to come fix it.

Do I just call the number I ordered from? and what department do I need to speak with?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 13

Go to solution

https://www.openreach.com/help-and-support/when-to-get-in-touch-with-openreach/complaints-policy

"To raise a complaint, or enquiry, that relates to health and safety concerns, employee behaviour, personal injury, damage to your property, quality of workmanship, wayleaves or planned movement of Openreach equipment. You can contact us through our chat facility.   Just click on the icon in the bottom right corner of the screen and select the 'others' option and then 'contact us' to get started."

Message 7 of 13

Go to solution

Greetings. One year on, did it get resolved in any way?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 13

Go to solution

Hey, I was in contact with openreach about getting compensation to fix the problem but it was fixed in a different way. One morning my dad saw an openreach engineer next door. He asked if he could come and sort the damage and he did! He also said it should have never have been left and reported the engineer who left it that way.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 13

Go to solution

Gosh, that is lucky. Similar context messy snag at my own place now. But getting nowhere. Looking for signs of solutions or groups of others being horribly let down.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 13

Go to solution

The ladder bolt and ring is meant to be removed from the wall as they are reusable. It has been left there by mistake.

Twist it anticlockwise to loosen it, then it should pull out. You’ll then need to fill the hole with something.

0 Ratings