cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Definiton of "backhaul"?

Go to solution

Good evening, all.

I was wondering if the more knowledge people here can clarify a technical question for me, please.

“Backhaul”  I can’t find a clear definition.  Is it the connection from the cabinet to the exchange, the exchange to the ISP or the ISP to the core network & backbone?  Anyone know for certain?

I have had a glance over previous posts but they all seem to be centred on backhaul in relation to wireless mesh.  I’m more interested in the WAN definition.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Definiton of "backhaul"?

Go to solution

The backhaul is the link between the network serving as the backbone for other networks and other sub-networks. Also, the transportation of data or network between access points to the public is backhaul. Backhaul connects the central network to the individual networks or public networks.

With FTTC the cabinet is the access point, with FTTP it is the exchange/headend.

Your WAN port gives you the connection to the access point.

The above is a simplified explanation if you want a more in depth one see HERE.

Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

It it often used when referring to wireless points and how they connect to the network. So the backhaul might be wireless, utp (wired) or mains (Powerline). Each have different capabilities in terms of speed and reliability.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

There is no precise definition for backhaul, it is a term with many meanings according to context.

Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

@pippincp   Thanks for that.  One of those nebulous, ambiguous IT terms then, as I thought.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

@licquorice  Thanks for that.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

It’s still a useful term. Words and definitions change all the time as you will see when the OED adds them often as part of a press release. Anyone who reads technology forums will see backhaul being frequently used.

0 Ratings