cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 22

Different speeds on two domestic accounts

I have two BT broadband accounts at my house. The second line was added for so my wife could work from home without her internet being slowed by the kids’ gaming.

The second, new line is tapped from the original socket; there’s only one phone line to the house.  Both accounts have the newer Smart Hub.

Over the last two days the older household account has dropped to a third of its usual speed.  It is steady on 10Mbps even with all connected devices offline.  The newer account gets the 34Mbps which was common to both accounts until recently.

I’ve done the usual things like rebooting the affected Hub but to no avail.  Would appreciate any ideas or thoughts people have, thanks.

Tech logs below (8HSZ is the affected Hub)

E0FA815E-FE80-46C5-8630-5D44E9661C62.jpeg

0 Ratings
21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22

Re: Different speeds on two domestic accounts

@stickybloke wrote:

The second, new line is tapped from the original socket;

No idea what you mean by that.

there’s only one phone line to the house.  Both accounts have the newer Smart Hub.

No, there are 2 phone lines to the house, but possibly only one cable supplying both lines.

Both lines look to be faulty, but if you only have one master socket I have no idea how the hubs are connected. There should be 2 master sockets if you have 2 lines.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 22

There is certainly a problem with original line so can you try quiet line test. Dial 17070 option 2 should be silent and best with corded phone. Any noise needs to be reported to 151

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 4 of 22

A line being Tapped means someone is Listening into your Calls.

I think what you mean is the Installer has used a Secondary Pair on the Lead In.

Out of interest is your line fed OH via a Telephone Pole or Underground?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 22

I would guess 8HSZ has developed a dis one leg fault. Does it have dial tone?
Or could it have been reverted to ADSL?

Message 6 of 22

ADSL with an Upload Speed of 9Mbps. 🤔

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 22

@dave44  and @imjolly  thanks very much for the input.  I've just plugged in a phone in - noise on the line (a cordless phone) and no dial tone/can't dial out.  Looks like a fault on that line then.  I'll get on to BT 😊

@licquorice  A single cable runs from the pole to my house and then into the (faulty) master socket.  The second "line" was installed by running a cable from that master socket to a second master socket.  Apologies for my confused usage of "cable" and "line".  I am a simple man and just fly big aeroplanes for a living; as far as I'm concerned, broadband is just another domestic utility.   That's why I'm asking potentially stupid questions.  Bit like my passengers do.

@Starwire  Again, mixed terminology, but yes, I imagine the installer did that thing you said.  The cable is an overhead line.

Thanks very much.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 22

@Starwire Haha fair enough. I missed that bit

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 22

Did the Installer change the Drop Cable to your house or use the existing one?

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 22

@stickybloke You have FTTP Mode on you might want to turn that off if you do not have an FTTP Connection..

Also, If theres no dial tone are you sure you do not have a SOGEA line (Broadband only) for the affected line? Get BT to check this too.

Massive discrepency between the line attuentions too.. Very bizzare!

0 Ratings