cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 22

Re: Different speeds on two domestic accounts

What service do you have on the second line as that is capped at 40/10. If it supposed to be fibre1, that line is also faulty and has been capped by DLM due to instability.

I suspect @dave44 is right in message5 regarding one wire being disconnected. Broadband can work, albeit very slowly, on one wire but telephony requires both.

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 22

@Starwire  No, he used the existing cable from the pole.  If I remember, the second line was installed by BT contractors who had to return twice due to very low speeds on the “new” line. It was finally rectified by a BT-badged engineer on a third visit; she spent most of her visit muttering about “bloody contractors”…

@samtheaspie Yes, the faulty line was our original landline/broadband line.  We rarely use the landline though…

@licquorice According to my BT account, my max speeds are 33-36 down and 14-15 up.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 22

You have a cable coming from the pole to the house carrying 2 line-pairs, as is common to residential properties. 1 line-pair has been connected to the original master socket. A new master socket has been installed to which the 2nd  line-pair has been connected. The 2 line-pairs probably split off from the incoming cable behind the original master socket but not inside it. I have a similar set-up with my pair of landlines.

Considering that the 2 line-pairs are running in parallel within the same cable from the same cab, both lines should have about the same attenuation, but yours don't, 27 vs. 18 dB (Down). This suggests that the 1st line is suffering from a "one-leg broken" fault (technically "HR Dis"). A landline consists of 2 wires, both of which are needed for voice, but only any 1 for BB. Usually when this happens the BB runs slower than usual.

Message 14 of 22

OK, only reason I ask and to be honest it will probably have little bearing on the Speed is they’ve most likely put the new line onto Pair 2 of a Drop Wire 10 or 10b, which they shouldn’t do.

They’re supposed to change out the Drop Wire 10(b) for a Drop Wire 15, which is a 4 Pair Drop Cable.

That was the rule when I ‘USED’ to be a Customer Service Engineer for Openreach. Although for the last 7/8 years I primarily did FTTP and little work on Metallic Paths so the rules may have changed and they can use Pair 2 of the Drop Wire 10, 10b again.

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 22

Just discovered that my elderly neighbour also has no landline service at the moment.  The cable to her house comes from the same pole as mine, suggesting a fault further downstream the system from my drop-line? (check me out with my terminology! 😄)

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 22

One of the Engineers may have knocked it off by mistake, especially if it’s an old and worn out BT41 or 41a. 

The amount of times I’d get down from a stick with one of those Blocks on it only for someone else to come out saying their line had just gone off. 

You can be as careful as you like, if you catch something or press the Block Terminal Lid down to hard or at the wrong angle you could accidentally cut someone off.

Can’t remember the exact figure but I think something like 40% of all faults are caused by Engineers themselves.

Message 17 of 22

Thanks @Starwire  - a review of my Nest security camera from a few days ago is quite revealing... 😃

Screenshot 2022-07-05 at 17.25.55.png

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 22

They’re the kind of Vans Contractors use, specifically the ones who do Network Build.

Thats not FTTP they’re putting on that Pole is it?

Message 19 of 22

😃  I’ll be honest, I wouldn’t know an FTTP installation if it punched me in the face whilst wearing a “I am an FTTP installation” t-shirt 😄

They’ve done something there - new tarmac and two new cables running up the pole to something technical at the top 👍🏻

CC6EE8CE-2CA6-486E-8A0F-A03DB4D20612.jpeg

0DD82B3E-D9E3-4387-B85B-B6FB2DA72E6D.jpeg

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 22

Purple duct upto the pole , suggests it’s an ‘Alt Net’ ( Alternative Network Provider ) that is putting their kit on the Openreach pole ( may also explain the contractor vehicles in the image  ) , no doubt when putting their kit on the pole they have managed to disturb your line and  put a fault on it .