cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Do I need an engineer visit if I have the hub and openreach socket?

Hi there,

We've just moved into our new rental home (previously living in Ireland) and we've signed up for BT Fibre 500 with the EE unbreakable extra too. Our landlord said there was no landline number but had broadband previously (I think with TalkTalk) and there is an openreach socket here. We've got the hub now and I'm just wondering if I actually need the engineer to come out and do anything or if in theory it should work if it gets set up on BT's side? The EE side is working but ideally the fibre will asap too!

Thanks!

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Do I need an engineer visit if I have the hub and openreach socket?

@jameslockwood 

Fibre 500 is an optical fibre connection which does not use the Openreach socket, so a new installation is needed with one or two visits, provided the landlord permits it. There may already be an optical modem installed.

Use the address checker on the page below, and post the results, but edit out your address details first.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Message 3 of 4

Ok that's good to know thanks, below is the table from the address checker.

BT screenshot.png

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

you will need openreach visit unless you have an ONT installed   as @Keith_Beddoe posted fibre 500 does not use the existing sockets and if you are getting landline phone then it will be digital voice which VOIP using the BT Hub

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.