cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

Does The BT Full Fibre White Box Need A Wall Socket or Will Multi Socket Suffice?

My Dad is being moved to BT Full Fibre soon and I thought that when I had mine installed one of the four engineers that did mine said they preferred it in a dedicated wall socket for power.

Is this the case or will a multi socket extension lead suffice?

The engineer might have been referring to not wanting to plug it into my power line adapter than the multi socket extension though.

I ask as for me it wasnt an issue for me but my dad only has one socket where he would like his white box would be best located.

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: Does The BT Full Fibre White Box Need A Wall Socket or Will Multi Socket Suffice?

An extension lead should be fine as a temporary solution, but you can buy a socket "doubler" that will convert a single gang outlet to a twin from the likes of Screwfix.

Message 3 of 11

Re: Does The BT Full Fibre White Box Need A Wall Socket or Will Multi Socket Suffice?

Thanks.

It would be temporary in a more modern house. This is more likely to be how it would be.

Are there issues created by having its power from an extension lead then?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

No, other than aesthetics.

Message 5 of 11

I suppose it depends if a trailing socket with the two AC adapters plugged into it is likely to present a trip hazard. Fitting one of those 2-gang faceplates is literally a five minute job. Turn off mains, unscrew old socket, disconnect wiring & then repeat in reverse.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

@rbz5416  Which, in electrical terms is not differernt to an extention lead, anyone who tells you different is wrong.

Don't forget for insurance purposes alone and law, once done a registered electrican must test and approve it and issue a certificate, otherwise your insurance could be void.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

@pippincp 

Probably just as well that no one in this thread has suggested otherwise...

Message 8 of 11

It was just that the engineer who did mine was keen to connect to a spare wall socket. It wasnt an issue for me but would be for my dad.

His wall box and cabling would be behind a small knee high cabinet so no issues with regards looking pretty, etc.

I just wondered why the original engineer seemed to want a wall connected socket but I wonder now if that was power line thru plug related.

If an extension socket for the BT F/F white box is fine then my dad will be over the moon lol

thanks...

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

If you are going to use an extension lead with powerline adaptors just make sure it is not a surge protected extension lead as they can be problematic with powerline adaptors.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

ahhhh maybe thats what the engineer was referring to in my case then. Once i remembered i had power line adapters i thought that might be the issue.

That would defo not be the case for my dad. It would be a single wall socket, into a multi plug extension lead (4 or 6) and the feeds would be from that, ie to the homehub2 (when it arrives), his current home phone and then to the new bt wall socket for Full Fibre.

His setup does seem ok. There is a second option but its not as ideal for him. They are in their 80s so what is a simple move for some isnt for others which is why I am asking.

Sorry if it seems long winded.

0 Ratings