cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Does my daughter have Fibre to the premises

Hi all

my daughter has moved into a 1 year old house and under the stairs is a fibre termination unit, it is powered up with just the power and the PON led’s glowing. Question is, has she got fibre connectivity to a remote street cab or exchange, ? The unit looks like a generic unit with no name on it , such as “openreach” etc

when I checked to see if BT fibre was in her area, pretty sure that it wasn’t 

I haven’t removed the fibre connector to see if the PON led extinguishes . Any thoughts please, I’m guessing the builder/developer put fibre to this new build in readiness for the future, as yet, haven’t enquired with the developer, just curious.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Does my daughter have Fibre to the premises

sounds like an ONT for FTTP - don't remove the fibre connection

you can check here using address

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

if your daughter intends to use BT then phone the FTTP team 08005874787 and they will help  have the serial number from ONT to hand when phoning

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

23C1DF3F-441F-486C-9C94-0054468FA02D.jpeg

This is the fibre termination unit

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

That is the Openreach ONT for FTTP and is active hence the  green PON light but I would of thought the port 1 would of been flickering if it was being used. Is the smart hub 2/router plugged into it via the ethernet port (if there's a active broadband service being used today) ?

If not, there's a serial number on the ONT and you can call up the BT FTTP team (0800 587 4787) and give them that to hopefully get an order placed.

Message 5 of 10

Thanks for the replies, all that’s there is the fttp ONT

Theres an Ethernet cable coming from the ONT and that’s all

i can’t remember if I saw a BB hub fitted next to the ONT before my daughter moved in, but the previous owners had BB so I guess there was a router connected , so I don’t know what’s happened to the Router . I’ll give BT a call and see if they can help me. When I looked yesterday, looks like the house is fed only with fibre , no overhead drop wires, couldn’t see a copper UG feed either 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

will just be the ONT and phone will probably be VOIP   if you phone BT FTTP TEAM  08005874787 they will be able to help you

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

@circuitbender wrote:

. When I looked yesterday, looks like the house is fed only with fibre , no overhead drop wires, couldn’t see a copper UG feed either 

All new builds over the last few years are likely to have full fibre only and no copper as the policies have changed to to a fibre first policy. Also Openreach and other infra providers have changed their polices to meet with this shift away from copper to full fibre and gigabit broadband.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-build-homes-to-come-gigabit-speed-ready

https://www.openreach.com/building-developers-and-projects/fibre-for-developers

https://www.openreach.com/news/house-builder-barratt-makes-openreach-full-fibre-broadband-mandatory-...

ect...

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

The address is ready for an Openreach based service provider to sign up your daughter as a customer, and provide their service over that ONT, obviously the previous occupant doesn’t leave their router behind , ( they may need it at their new address ) when your daughter has signed up as a new customer with an ISP , they will supply a new router to connect to the ONT, obviously if your daughter doesn’t sign up with an ISP , the ONT although connected to OR ‘s headend equipment, it isn’t providing any service until an ISP makes use of it.

Openreach provided this connection, the builder/developer may have been paid by OR to install an internal fibre cable between the ONT location and the external CSP ,  at first fix, ( easier to install the cable before the internal walls are finished etc ) but OR do all the other work.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

That's an Openreach ONT so you have Full Fibre to the Premises via Openreach based Broadband suppliers. If you put the property address into the address checker on the broadband providers' websites including BT, then it should show up the "Full Fibre"/"Ultrafast" packages. 

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

As has already been posted.