cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

Drop in Speed

Hello everyone first post,be gentle.

Have a Bt Smarthub 2 and super fast fibre.Always average 59-63 download and 12-13 upload.I have always monitored the speeds via the Smarthub homepage.This morning checked the homepage and the network uptime reset at midnight and the download speed was now down to 20,upload unchanged from 12-13.Any ideas why please,many thanks.

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: Drop in Speed

Can you check that you have a dial tone on your landline and if so is there any line noise by dialling 17070 option 2. Should be silent - does not work if on DV

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 12

Thanks for replying so quickly,dial tone silent,everything still working fine even skyq and son on his Xbox gaming who is the first to complain if things run slowly hasn’t said anything yet.Strange!!

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

Assuming you do not have digital voice then if you have no dial tone then that is cause of drop in connection speed. Your probably only have 1 wire connected in master socket instead of 2.  Internet works with 1 wire connected albeit slowly but phone needs both wires connected for dial tone.

If no tone then you need to report a phone fault not broadband to 151 or 0800800151 from mobile

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

@imjolly  So sorry for the late reply,had a little accident not long after your reply,now typing this with a broken arm,don’t ask!!.First of all sorry misread your original reply,yes dial tone is present and I have a quiet line.Things escalated yesterday morning on waking up though,the Smarthub 2 was on a continuous cycle of purple flashing right through the colours to solid blue every 4 minutes.Fault was reported via text,reply was connection to the house was fine so let’s check the connection inside with a troubleshooting video of things to try.First was to unplug cables from master socket and reinstall which cured the problem so far.As mentioned I monitor the Smarthub homepage and while the system uptime says the exact time the cables were plugged back in,the network uptime reset itself at 5.20 this morning.I understand that the network uptime means how long you have been connected to the Bt network so what I don’t understand is what happened at 5.20 this morning and is it a problem with the hub.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

Many things could cause the hub to reset but the real question is now will your hub stay stable or reset again tomorrow morning 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

Thanks a lot,will happen again soon just don’t know why and what effect it has on devices especially Sky q which keeps showing no internet connection every few days.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

Hi @hammerjeff67 and welcome to our community.

I'm sorry for the late reply. I'd be interested to know how this progresses so please keep us updated.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

is your SKY Q connected to hu with wifi?  if so then I suggest you ensure your hub is not using channel 36 on 5ghz as that is same channel used by SKY Q  so change hub to 44 or 48

Message 10 of 12

@imjolly @Yes it is connected via WiFi,Channel has always been 36 even after rebooting whereas the 2.4 switches to either 1,6 or 11 after a reboot.If you don’t mind me asking how do I move it to 44 or 48 and would there be any temporary disruption as there are 3 people working from home all day long or wouldn’t we notice.

Many thanks.

0 Ratings