cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Dropping & No broadband ?

After several months of poor broadband reception and it regularly dropping off completely especially when attempting to run more than 1 device. Quite a few engineers have been out all with different and so far none working solutions. The latest engineer reckons the old copper over head line connection to our property is more than likely the route & cause of the problem. I’m on a social tariff so cost is an issue for me & can’t really afford a full blown upgrade. Are BT obliged to upgrade the overhead feed to a fibre feed to help remedy the poor broadband service for me ? Thank you.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Dropping & No broadband ?

If the engineer believes the wire is the problem (it more than likely is), then he should have replaced it. That's his job.

Any given package is the same cost whether delivered by copper or fibre. Unless fibre is available to you, there is no upgrade path. Put your number in the checker to see what is available. Edit out your number before posting a screenshot. If you have Digital Voice, use the address option.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Message 3 of 8

You should have been given a " Stay Fast Speed Guarantee"  when you signed up with BT so your problem may fall into that.

See link

What is BT's Stay Fast Guarantee? | BT Help

BT should and generally will do everything they can to have any problems fixed, however the external wires/cable is the property of Openreach so it will ultimately be up to them how they fix the cable if it is faulty.

There is no requirement for them to "upgrade" you to a fibre connection. They are only obliged to fix your problem and if that means replacing a copper cable with a new copper cable that is what will be done.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

BT uses Openreach as a contractor to provide services to its (BT's) customers. Customers' contracts are with BT so it is up to BT to provide the service and, if that requires Openreach to take some action, it is BT's responsibility to make this happen, not the customer's.
BT is a little too keen, I think, to blame Openreach and effectively say "there's nothing we can do unless Openreach takes action"
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Yes the customers contract is with BT not Openreach nobody said otherwise.

BT contract Openreach to do the repairs and that is what Openreach do. BT however do not/can not tell Openreach how to carry out the repairs or what is required to be replaced or repaired in order to effect the repair.

Message 6 of 8

Absolutely, but BT should be able to hold Openreach responsible for completing repairs in a timely way, and BT should keep the customer informed of progress.
It's not acceptable for BT to say (as was said to me on their Chat service) that they couldn't update me because the job is with Openreach and they have no way of getting information from them.
Message 7 of 8

Ta for responding. Ive just put my details in and it states no information for this number. Then states this number doesnt exist or it’s possibly a new number which wont be recognised for at least 24 hours ? Been the same number for years. I think its best if I speak with a person at BT on Saturday.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

@tonydidit 

Do you have digital voice. If so that is the reason your phone number not recognised so use your address insread

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.