cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Engineer Appointment

Good morning all,

I had a broadband failure last night at around 10PM, I disconnected, then rebooted the Hub, etc.,
still no joy, so I called 0800800150 and got a robot, this machine informed me that it was checking
my line and that I had a fault that needed an engineer, because the fault was in my home!

After checking all the connections again and finding nothing off, I decided to unplug the hub, instead
of letting the red light flash all night, while looking for the correct plug to pull, the hub light turned
blue, now I am at loss, should I let the engineer come or should I cancel, the reason for asking is that
the hub was very hot last night, when the red was flashing, this morning it is much cooler.

Thank you for taking time to read this and giving me some guidance.

Regards.
Mike.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Engineer Appointment

If your broadband is now working , then an engineer visit will probably be a waste of time ( unless in the meantime it goes off again ) 

https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/fix-a-problem/broadband-and-wi-fi/what-do-the-lights-on-my-bt-hub-...

A red light on the hub can mean different things depending on the model of hub , but if it’s getting too hot , it wouldn’t work , and depending on why it was hot , it may need to be replaced unless it’s sited somewhere inappropriate with no air flow around it, in which case it may just need relocating to a more suitable place .

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Thank you iniltous, Your information is very helpful, especially
the video, I might be confusing the Red and the Orange lights.

I carried out all that is listed, except the factory reset, I am a
little worried that all the things that use the Hub, Mobiles and
TV, the tablet will also have to be re-introduced to it, plus all
the Featured Apps, or does that only happen when the TV box
is reset?

Thanks again for responding.

Mike.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

I forgot the picture of my hub in an airy location, it has been there for
a year and before it just sat behind the TV.

Mike.

Hub 2.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Personally I would cancel the appointment as if it’s now working , then chances are tech will not be able to do anything, especially if it’s a BT tech as opposed to Openreach ( if the fault was external to your home ) , I would just keep checking if the hub is getting hot , if so the probable solution would be for BT to send a new one ( which would require you to pair your wireless devices again ).

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Thanks again iniltus, I tried to connect with BT this morning and have a chat about
cancelling the appointment, but I couldn't get past the computer that answered my
call!

Perhaps you can advise me as to how I can cancel.

Mike.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

I don’t know for sure , but log into your BT account  ( with your BT ID ) you may be able to manage your fault ( including cancellation ) from there , but TBH , it’s not something I’ve ever had to do.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Thanks again iniltous, that was the first place that I went and
couldn't find out how to, but I will try again and if I get a reminder
about the Engineer on my mobile, I can reply with a cancellation.

Thank you once more for taking time to answer.

Mike.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

I am a
little worried that all the things that use the Hub, Mobiles and
TV, the tablet will also have to be re-introduced to it

You can avoid this by connecting one device to the new Hub, and the changing it's SSID and Password via the web interface to match your old hub - your devices will then connect to it with no further changes (just in case you do need to get a swap in the future).

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Thank you ptrduffy, I will keep this in mind.

Mike.

0 Ratings