cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Exterior fibre install

Hi,

We’ve recently been cut off by BT who apparently cannot reinstate copper connection nor tell us how/why we were cut off.

Anyway they can reconnect with overhead fibre conveniently.

My concern is the exterior install, we have an on road 300 year old house, I don’t particularly want to see plastic boxes on the front nor cables rubbing down the house. 

The current copper connection connects to house and runs down top floor window and in, very neat. 

I suspect fibre can’t do this due to exterior box?

Can anyone share photos of their exterior install?

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Exterior fibre install

As a general principle, BT should be able to put you back to the previous situation at their expense and that should be that.  If the building is listed or any cables entering via another means would be unsightly affecting the character or value of the property then they should be attempting to come to a suitable agreement with you - a two-way conversation!  It is possible to have the exterior box in one position with cable entering the property elsewhere.

I only learn by making mistakes and owning up to them - boy do I learn a lot!
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Turns outs we are in a copper removal area so Openreach refuse to turn the line back on regardless of how it’s turned off.

Bye bye BT. 10 years was a good run.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

It's bye bye all providers not just BT.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

@ferriss 

An Openreach copper stop sell means only full fibre can be offered by any provider be that Sky, TalkTalk and 600+ other providers not just BT

https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband/retiring-the-copper-network

For information on how full fibre is installed to your property and what external and internal work is done to get it all up and running see https://www.openreach.com/help-and-support/full-fibre-broadband-installation-checklist

Some internal installations have also used invisilight fibre that you can hardly see

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

"Turns outs we are in a copper removal area so Openreach refuse to turn the line back on regardless of how it’s turned off.  Bye bye BT. 10 years was a good run."

Hmm, one of my reasons for switching to FTTP (and away from Vodafone) is that we'd received a "to the occupier" letter from OpenReach informing us that the existing telephone service would be withdrawn here by the end of this year, and that our supplier (Vodafone but not mentioned in the letter) would contact us closer to make arrangements for service delivery to change (wish I still had the letter so I could give you the details word for word).

Would Vodafone have contacted us?  I don't know, they give the impression of being somewhat slap-dash in my personal opinion!  But in the process of getting all the info prior to my switch, I did uncover that any change of contract, even remaining with Vodafone was going to mean a switch to FTTP.

I just wonder if you'd had such a "to the occupier" letter and just tossed it!  In this case the problem with restoring you back to the previous situation would depend on you not having been given notice.  If you'd not had that notice, even the restoration could be argued and the best outcome would be that the service is restored, they then give you 28 days notice, and cut off the copper line again!

I only learn by making mistakes and owning up to them - boy do I learn a lot!
0 Ratings