cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

External Engineer Visit

Can anyone who has had new fibre cables put in, if the engineers actually needed access to the inside of your property for the first visit which clearly states work to be done outside. It clearly stated "you do not need to be present" but now they are saying I do for EXTRENAL work and when I explained that I can only get one day off work to get the Internal work done and no more the foreign lady on the phone, who I could barely understand, decided to hang up on me. 

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: External Engineer Visit

Hi, @Ruby3 welcome to the community and thanks for posting, you only have to be home if an appointment has been booked for the internal work to be done. Is there dig work required to bring the line to your property?

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 11

Hi,

Yeah they will need to dig up my garden to put in the cable from the street to the outside of my house. I have said I do not need to be there and they can dig up my garden. The whole garden will be getting redone at some point so I honestly don't care about that. They have been given permission to carry that work out. 

I have added a note on the ongoing complaint one of the people I spoke to on the phone put in so I get updated as I put my order in on the 2nd/3rd of July asking for it to be done by 4th August and they are taking ages. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

Hi @Ruby3, thanks for posting back and sorry for the confusion over whether you have to e there or not. Post back and let us know how your complaint is progressing when they get back in touch with you. 
Cheers

John

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

Well after messing me about it's now saying my order is cancelled. They said they need to be in my house and when I asked to book it for a specific day, openreach said they can't guarantee what day it will be. So they expect a person who doesn't work at home to be a Claire voyant? 🤦🏼♀️

Should be getting a call tomorrow from BT anyway. Not gonna return the hub as I don't want to cancel the order. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

Hello Ruby3,

The instalation is normally carried out by Openreach and unless they have improved the system it will need two or three visits because no one person seems to do it all.

There is normally two or three parts to the instalation and each crew does different parts.

By the sound of it they have already checked the nodes in the duct, have agreed with you on a dig route for the cable and you have given them Permission to Dig the the first crew will probably just dig, will fit a cable between your wall and the duct and will make the garden good.

The next crew will fit an exterior junction box on your wall and will connect the cable in that junction box and will connect the cable in the duct/terminal in the road.

Lastly a different person will arrive to splice the fibre cable on the wall of the house to a flexible cable that goes through your wall, (it may need another hole drilling through the wall), and that person will fit an ONT inside your house.

Connect the router, three steady green lights on the ONT and your done.

Obviously it is better if you are there for all visit because you may not like the route of the cable and the position of the external junction box and they need internal access to fit the ONT.

The upside is that FTTP is well worth the hassle and and it should only need to be fitted once albeit spread over three days with delays in between visits.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

No, my neighbour saw them knock on my door yesterday and leave when I didn't answer. I haven't spoken to them. They also said last week they need to be in my house before they do the external work

Not everyone works from home, if they can't give me a guaranteed date they can't expect me to just be home all the time. I have a full time job working in a lab so I literally can't work from home. 

Now it's saying I need to return the hub within 60 days and my order is cancelled. 

It's fine because BT said they would raise it higher up with openreach and they should sort it. 

It's not the first time I've had issues with openreach. 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

🤦🏼‍♀️

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

Hi @Ruby3 I'm so sorry your fibre order isn't going smoothly. I'll send you a private message in a moment so you can contact the moderators with your order details. We'll be happy to chase this up with Openreach and find out whats happening.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

There is already someone at BT chasing this up for me. It's just getting annoying now. 

0 Ratings