cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

FTTP 900Mb - mod please check/remove speed cap? Drops below Stay Fast Guarantee

1ED8D3B0-FCC5-49EA-B6A3-1DCFD577D085.png

I recently upgraded from 500 to 900 FTTP. 500 was always fine for me, however 900 has been more inconsistent. I’d like a mod to check for any possible caps on my FTTP 900Mb please, I’ll explain the issues below.

Example - Every so often on YouTube I’ll be watching a video and it begins to buffer and have playback issues. When this happens I open the mobile MyBT app and perform a Speedtest, this shows the ‘Speed to the Hub’ is below the Stay Fast Guarantee.

I thought the problem went away as only noticed it in the first week, but it happened again this morning - now that I am passed the 14 day cooling off period. Screenshot attached.

Mods please take a look and see if there’s anything going on with caps or any other reason you might see for this to be a problem. The speeds may be fine currently but of the blue they just go **bleep**. The 6mths that I had the 500Mb package I never once encountered this issue.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: FTTP 900Mb - mod please check/remove speed cap? Drops below Stay Fast Guarantee

It is my understanding that BT does not "cap" connections.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Re: FTTP 900Mb - mod please check/remove speed cap? Drops below Stay Fast Guarantee

That was my understanding too, however before posting this topic asking for help I did look to see if others had problem with their speeds.

I found a few others with FTTP speed issues where mods have offered to help, such as here https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Fibre-broadband/FTTP-Slow-Upload-Speed/td-p/2284185

Whether it’s a capping or throttling of speed, I don’t know. Clearly from my OP screenshot my speeds are dropping below the Stay Fast Guarantee, so this needs investigating regardless of what the actual solution might be.

If it’s something the mods can fix from their end then that would be great.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

The posts with connection speed problems were normally to do with up speed and needed the config file updated whereas your speeds are normally ok but at times there appears to be drops in down speed.  Maybe it a problem with your device or cables or even another device running.

BT  certainly do not cap or throttle your connection speed as already posted

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

I can’t think what else it could be. It was never an issue in 6mths of use on 500Mb, and I saw this issue during the first week of 900Mb being activated.

I think the MyBT app showing the Speed to the Hub is indicative of a problem, if it was just the speed on the mobile device I used to do the test then I’d be far less concerned.

0 Ratings