cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 15

Re: FTTP Fibre needed in an outbuilding

Thanks v much, to everyone. For a few reasons, I cannot dig to connect. I appreciate it's more costly, but is there any reason I can't simply have, and pay for, a second line? When I spoke to them, BT seemed to NEED a NEW, independent address, which this isn't. It would be very easy (practically and logistically) to add a new cable directly from the telegraph pole into the studio (unlike the house, the studio is close to the road / pole). BT seem to treat my request like it's against the law or rules or something. I want to pay for an extra line - but they're responding to me like I'm the first person that ever asked, and that its impossible.... cos the computer say's no.
0 Ratings
Message 12 of 15

When an area is dimensioned, all the ‘dwellings’ that are appropriately registered as a ‘proper’ address are in effect counted and number used to provide the appropriate size of the network for that immediate area , so your problems are two fold , first you would have to get the studio it’s own postal address , ( otherwise it would never appear as an valid address in the systems used to raise an order ) by making it a property liable for council tax etc , then , once the property is registered an order potentially could be raised , provided there was spare capacity at the CBT , capacity is probably OK , but there is a chance of no spare ‘fibres’ at the CBT
As already suggested the most obvious solution is your own Ethernet ‘cable’ between the two points , or even a point to point microwave link , if there is line of sight , and the prospect of providing a cable link is not practical,
FWIW, you don’t need to adhere to the same standard as Openreach would ( putting cables underground at the appropriate depth of cover , reinstatement etc ) so for arguments sake an Ethernet cable laid overground ( possibly in some sort of flexible conduit) between your house and studio would be no one’s responsibility but your own , if it were damaged , tripped over , etc
0 Ratings
Message 13 of 15

I'd probably go with a point-to-point link - ubiquity do several.  Depending on what you go for you may need a license, but it's not exorbitantly expensive and is pretty much a formality.  Speeds are generally not earth-shattering, and the equipment definitely adds a little lag so gaming from the studio could be marginal!

I only learn by making mistakes and owning up to them - boy do I learn a lot!
0 Ratings
Message 14 of 15

Have you considered a 4/5g mobile broadband contract if the signal is good enough at your outbuilding.

Most mobile phone suppliers do them with unlimited data. 

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 15

Thanks again to everyone...very helpful, and at least I'm better armed now to investigate a workable solution.    Didn't know about mobile broadband (prob clear I'm a luddite), so will have a look.  I'm with BT (and EE for mobile phones), so presumably as good as any.   Appreciate everyone's input..thanks again.

0 Ratings