cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13

FTTP 'Not yet available'

Hi,  So, currently on G-Fast from BT.  Our Exchange is flagged as being worked on, and when searching FTTP availability, it said available 'from between now and Dec 26' (unsure of exact working)

So recently the estate has been having a flurry of telegraph poles go up, but our availability is now showing as 'Not yet available'

Has anyone experienced this previously? Is it a pre-state before the poles are up and running? as I cant see a reason for poles being put up unless its to provide FTTP.

Is there anywhere to check this?

TIA

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Re: FTTP 'Not yet available'

how is you phone provides presently - from pole or underground duct?

it may not be openreach who are installing poles

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 13

It could be an AltNet is getting ready to install FTTP. As there were no poles previously it would strongly suggest Openreach uses ducted connections.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 13

So the estate is a mix of poles and underground, however poles have been shooting up everywhere.

I'd be surprised if someone else is doing it, as I live in an area that essentially no one else has ever shown any interest in serving before.

EDIT: The OR map checker shows my Exchange is being worked on currently (blue in the map) but the address checker is what now says 'Not Yet Available'

I guess, I just wanted to see if its possible that the change in state might be because its closer to going live.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 13

Ok, it is possibly that my hope is correct, as my old address on the estate, served by a different cabinet has the same message, however going to the wholesale checker shows its currently available.

Probably / Hopefully can just ignore this thread 🙂

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 13

@shawry99  Please don't ignore it, come back and let us know what happens.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 13

If it’s Openreach, then the poles will be marked as BT or possibly OR , and should have a notice attached outlining the objection process, so it should be easy to determine if it’s an Alt Net or not .
Generally, if an area is currently completely underground served ( so anything built from the 1960’s onwards ) poles are not used in these area  ( without a full consultation with the council and local residents ) but in a mixed area , so some older properties that already existed and were already served overhead , it can be justified adding additional poling ,generally if you can already see poles , any objections about extra poling can be argued against, poles are the easiest and cheapest way to provide FTTP ( unless it’s a fully ducted area , built from the 1990’s ) .

If the poles are Openreach assets, then it is almost certainly a precursor to FTTP availability, but the poles could be installed many months before the service is available to order , it’s  when the fibre cables and CBT’s appear that you should keep an eye on the availability checkers, if it’s Alt Net poles they appear to do whatever they want  and are not bound by BT/Openreach conventions.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 13

Update to this, so I can now order fttp apparently though it seems BT will only offer me my current package if I log in, and EE tell me I’m with BT and to go there for the best deal.

was hoping to sort without a phone call tbh.

Swish Fibre seems to be much cheaper but that’s not showing available for me yet either.

Guess I’ll ring tomorrow and see what happens

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 13

@shawry99 I was on GFast before upgrading to Full Fibre 500/900. It was a complete nightmare, I had to open a new account to upgrade. I couldn't upgrade online or over the phone going from GFast to Full Fibre the BT system just wouldn't allow it after 4 failed orders. Hopefully, it goes smoothly for you once you can upgrade. 

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 13

So it's possibly Swish Fibre who are preparing to supply you?

0 Ratings