cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 25

Re: FTTP Poles and New cable

Thank you for the reply,  that all makes sense.  The guys doing the work are a 3rd party, and he kept using these terms.  As I am end of line, no other houses were here, so now there will be 4 new houses next door in the development.  I will take some photos of what they install and see.  At the moment they are splicing into the Underground chamber at the start of the poles about half a mile down the road, this is where a big estate of 100 odd houses, and they have FTTC options only and has been like that since I have been here.  The guy said for sure the new cable has 32 fibres and was on about connection points each side of my house.  Will see what happens on the poles over the next few days.  Will keep and eye on the checker also.

Thanks again.

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 25

So this is what they installed two poles down from mine.

IMG_0497.jpgIMG_0496.jpgIMG_0495.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 25

That’s a Small Prysmian Node Openreach use for Fibre Jointing.

Its either a Splitter or an Intermediate Joint.

Whether you’ll be able to piggy back off it really depends. How many houses are on this new estate and how far from a Pole with a CBT on it is your house and is there a clear line of sight?

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 25

So that’s the end of the new poles right at the entrance to the new estate.  It will have 5 large 4 bed houses only.    That is 3 poles from my house, my pole has nothing the fibre is just rubbing over my pole.  I will wonder down the road the other way tomorrow as there is something on a pole in the other direction but could not see when driving.  Then there is another 10 poles to just outside the big estate that has FTTC only.  However it joins into an underground chamber at that point.  This is all new.    From my house to the end of the new line with that box in the photo it is 300m and yes line of sight.

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 25

So it’s 300m from the nearest Pole on that new site to your house?

If that the case there’s no way you’re getting it as the maximum cable span from a Pole to your house is about 68m if I remember right. 

They would probably need to build additional network to get it to you. That could potentially be tens of thousands. Without seeing the Network Maps I could only speculate.

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 25

The pole at the site entrance has a device that is installed at the start and end of an aerial cable route , ( an anti creepage device) that suggests the cable runs down the pole and will no doubt move underground in to ducts/jointboxes on the site itself…there is a good chance with such a small development that a single CBT could service the entire development it connected via a small splitter co-located in the same box as the CBT ( ducts running from the box to each new property ) ….that means for that splitter ( or CBT ) to be of any use to servicing your address a new cable would have to run in the opposite direction, so out of the box up the pole and span across from the pole to existing poles or new poles ( if new poles are required to get to your address ) , and although it’s not impossible to do this , it’s an inelegant solution….and not likely to have been part of the ‘plan’ when the network was designed for those new build addresses .
0 Ratings
Message 17 of 25

It’s 300m to that pole with the black box on in the photo.   The actual fibre cable goes past my house on a pole in my drive like 1m away from my house.  But there are no joints or connectors on my pole other than the grey copper line on jelly crimps that give me a 1mb ADSL connection. 

How annoying knowing that fibre goes tight past my house. 

looks like I’m stuck with Starlink for now.

thanks again 

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 25

Thank you, that makes sense.

Annoying the guy said no issues connecting me, but then guess they are just contractors.

I see another similar box in the opposite direction on a pole not near any houses at all, just in the middle of the total new run.  We live rural so strange.  Unless they know something we don’t.  Wish I had known maybe I could have paid for a connection at the time.  But no way of knowing these things in advance I guess.

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 25

It's simply a joint, not strange at all. Cable comes in lengths that need joining.

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 25

You say that, but they cut the cable as they were installing it from a large roll.  I watched them do this.

0 Ratings