cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

FTTP from pole via loft space

Go to solution

I am hoping to be able to have full fibre installed as soon as our local network is up and running. I want to carry out some internal prep work in advance, and wonder if anyone could comment, based on current OR procedures. I live in a bungalow and the present setup is via a copper line from a pole and drop cable to the front corner of the property, entering via a hole in the fascia board, across my loft space to the opposite side, then down through the ceiling to the Openreach broadband / phone socket, with the cable chased into the plasterwork. I would like to maintain a similar setup / routing with full fibre, and was considering asking the OR engineer if he / she would be prepared to route the fibre cable through the loft space, where I propose to pre-install a run of 20mm upvc round conduit from the entry point, and of course avoiding any sharp 90 degree angles in doing so. Then I propose to install internal vertical trunking in the downstairs hall wall to bring the cable down to my new ONT. I would ensure there was a suitable draw rope running through the entire length of conduit. With apologies for the rambling explanation, what I was wondering is:-

a) Do OR normally insist on the installation of a CSP  at the point where an eves level cable enters the property, or would they allow the external cable to be drawn right through the conduit, to the internal hall point where the ONT is to be placed, and bypass a CSP completely (if that is possible). 

b) If a CSP has to be used, are they allowed to install an EZ bend cable from the CSP to the internal ONT point, which would be via the installed trunking (again all pre-roped to make it simple). The loft space is 3/4 boarded and fully lit, but I would be prepared to carry out any necessary loft space work on the day if necessary. 

My overall intention is to install a couple of runs of Cat5e from the new router, back up into the loft space via the new trunking for the fibre, and connecting to smart tv’s. 

I do fully appreciate that ultimately it will depend on the engineer’s decision on the day, but I was hoping that someone who has had a recent FTTP install carried out via a similar property set up could comment for me. Much appreciated. 

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: FTTP from pole via loft space

Go to solution

To my knowledge CSP's are always mounted externally at ground level ( except in MDU's ). As for the rest, discuss with the engineer and be prepared to do the "in loft" work yourself.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

My CSP was installed internally in a cupboard in my 2nd floor attic room (where I had my existing my network switch).  CSP & ONT are mounted on an internal wall next to each other. Engineer ran the external fibre cable through the facia into the attic where the old copper came in.  No problem at all fitting exactly where I wanted.

Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

Many thanks. It looks as if there may be some suitable options, but it will depend on the engineer at the end of the day. Tea and biscuits will be readily available!

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution
Cheers thanks. No hard and fast rules by the look of it, so I will have to play it by ear, and hope they can go along with my plans. Good to hear your CSP was installed internally though.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks for the info @PF118 .

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Cheers thanks very much. 

0 Ratings