cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 47

Re: FTTP installation in the morning - still orange in the evening

Go to solution

Be potentially one of 3 things.

1. Your Profile hasn’t been built correctly by Openreach. They can prove this by doing a CTH Test as they have the ability to emulate a CP Profile on their Head End.

2. Something hasn’t been built right at the CP end, could be anything. I never worked with that kind of IP Layer Stuff, it was beyond my pay grade. If it is this, it’s a BT issue and not an Openreach one.

3. BT have started using the KCI Process or whatever it’s called.

Before I left my job as a CSE for Openreach I heard it on good authority from a Senior Manager, one of the few I trusted and respected in BT that they were soon going to be implementing a KCI(?) Process where the Service will not Activate until Openreach had confirmed their end was complete.

BT aren’t the only ones to do this, Plusnet also do it as well as a few others I don’t care to remember. I only specifically remembered the Plusnet one because they did it for years, stopped it and then suddenly started doing it again a couple of years ago without notifying Openreach, which was fun for those first few days!

Message 12 of 47

Go to solution

That's very helpful - thanks mate... That's what the Openreach engineer mentioned. something was wrong at/or with the CP. I don't think he fully understood what was the issue or didn't want to tell me at the time he left.

Let's hope the people from the BT hotline will be able to understand this when I call them in an hour 🤞🤞

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 47

Go to solution

yeah - even after reading out what @Starwire  said to the FTTP team - they will now send another engineer to have a look (of course they will take until Thursday to send one over).

I doubt the issue is in my house - especially given the fact that the ONT shows that everything is ok...

At least they'll provide a 4g hub in the meantime...

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 47

Go to solution

If you wanted to rule out a faulty SH2 a bit quicker, you could check Facebook Marketplace to see if you can pick one up cheap locally. Once you've tested you can either keep it as a spare or resell for pretty much what you paid.

Message 15 of 47

Go to solution

They’ll always want to send an Engineer to do a CHT Test, even though the Engineer pretty much sits or stands there watching and waiting for different coloured lights to appear while someone at 2nd Line DCoE do all the Technical Stuff.

Worst thing about a CHT Test though is if Openreach prove it onto the CP Network beyond the Head End your Head Ache will only intensify because BT as a CP are useless at dealing with those issues. In fact even if Openreach prove it onto the CP Network don’t be surprised if BT still insist on sending out yet more Openreach Engineers unnecessarily.

Message 16 of 47

Go to solution

Might give it a try and use my own router with the standard pppoe settings

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 47

Go to solution

Thanks for the heads-up, @Starwire !

Super useful stuff! 

I am already mentally prepared to be ping-ponging for the next couple of months

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 47

Go to solution

@jasonmleds12wrote:

Might give it a try and use my own router with the standard pppoe settings

Just bear in mind it needs to be a "cable" router with a WAN port or capable of having a LAN port re-assigned like the SH2.

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 47

Go to solution

Or you could just set up a PPPoE ethernet connection with a laptop/pc direct to the ONT.

Message 20 of 47

Go to solution

@pippincp 

Good call, completely forgot about that!