cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 27

FTTP is becoming unstable

Go to solution

I've had a flawless service since getting the 500Mb speed package. But since the fortnightly reboot of the router early yesterday morning (20th) I noticed the fast speed test didn't quite reach the 500 download speed, and my file transfers had dropped from 67mb per second to 47mb per second. But I put this down to a mishandled router reboot issue and was prepared to wait it out until the next reboot.

But by the early morning of the 21st the full fibre signal went down with the ONT displaying the LOS light. The phone goes down too when this happens.

On calling the number suggested by an automated voice, and trying to lodge a fault it suggested I talk to the BT customer service, only to be told it was out of hours and cut my call off!

How do I lodge a FTTP fault, if this happens again?

0 Ratings
26 REPLIES 26
Message 2 of 27

Re: FTTP is becoming unstable

Go to solution

phone BT CS during working hours either 150 or 0800800150 from mobile and report fault 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 27

Go to solution

So does anyone know why my connection used to show slightly above the 500Mb speed with a download speed of 67MB/ps consistantly, to now barely reaching 480Mb with a variable speed transfer between 47MB/ps and 53MB/ps ?

Will the problem correct itself to go back to how it was before?

I can't imagine its congestion, especially when I'm not on the 1Gb (900Mb) service. Why can't the node handle my 500Mb connection?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 27

Go to solution

@Bowdon 

FTTP is a contended service, up to 32 users can be sharing the 2.5Gb backhaul, so you can never expect the full speed all the time, you may get 500mb when there are fewer people using it. I expect that you are now sharing the backhaul with more users. If everyone was using it fully, you may only get 78mbs.

BT quote up to 500mb, so you are likely to get less than that.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 27

Go to solution
Wouldn't my having a LOS suggest there is a fault somewhere?
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 27

Go to solution

An optical signal is either there or it isn`t, there is no partial on/off.

Your loss of signal was more likely due to work taking place on the splitter, to add more customers, so you are now sharing your connection with more people. They do not have to be BT Retail customers, they could be from any provider that sells FTTP.

The only customers who get a higher guaranteed minimum speed, are business customers who pay more for their connection.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 27

Go to solution

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

An optical signal is either there or it isn`t, there is no partial on/off.

That's not strictly true. There could be a splice with very high attenuation bordering on the LOS threshold. Or a cable being mechanically kinked by something intermittently.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 27

Go to solution
It's just gone 10am here and I tested the speed again using the fast.com site. It's very inconsistant and as been coming in at 420Mb.

Isn't there a way for BT to test the fibre connection if I select a fault on the website and it'll test it?

Something is wrong with the connection. It shouldn't go from being consistant for 4 months and then suddenly start dropping speed. I refuse to believe that the 500Mb package is congested level at all times of the day. If that was true then the 900Mb package would have no chance. My current speed now is below their Stay Fast Speed Guarantee for that package.
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 27

Go to solution
Ok, I just did the BT speed test and its showing the speeds I used to get. So there doesnt seem to be an issue between the BT network and the Smart Hub 2.

So what is causing these speed problems? It must be something either to do with the hub (maybe the firmware that got updated last month), or a cable at my side.

I'm doubting its the cable at my side as that wouldn't have led to the LOS light coming on.

I'm wondering whats going on? It's very odd.
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 27

Go to solution

There does seem to be a lot of misinformation being posted regarding FTTP, especially by those that don't have it or have never used it.

If you are getting intermittent LOS then that needs an engineer to come out and check that out.