cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Failed installation (twice)

Hi 

We switched from copper to fibre seven weeks ago, the engineer arrived and installed the new fibre structured cabling into the property, the engineer then contacted the offshore team to build the connection but after two hours of trying he could not get the hub connected to the internet even tough he had a steady PON and LAN light on the ONT the engineer told me that he had referred the issue back to the fusion team and said that they would be in touch. 

I left it 24 hours hoping that someone would be in touch but after nobody made contact I contacted BT customer services and after a lot of time on the phone I was told that the installation engineers job had been closed as fully completed so I had to raise the issue as a fault, I mentioned multiple times that is was a failed installation rather than a fault but was told it would have to go down that route.

My partner works from home and needs a secure wired ethernet connection for work, we were able to use the hybrid connect unit for this in the short term but the connection was very slow and glitchy and dropped out quite often.

We had engineers booked in to attend on six separate occasions but nobody ever came to the property we waited  in for them on each occasion and I had to call the generic customer support number each time for an update and then go through the whole process each time as BT do not allocate a single customer service agent to a fault/complaint so it was like groundhog day each time.

I could go on and on about the whole laughable process to date including being told that it was something I have done that prevented the connection from working but after seven weeks of phone calls and at least 14 hours on the phone to various departments of BT they finally settled on a disconnection of my old failed installation, they assured me on multiple occasions that the hybrid connect would continue to work during the whole process, I reminded them on multiple occasions that we need a hard wired connection for my partner to work with. the time for the disconnection comes around and the hybrid unit stops working also, I contact BT once again and after a further hour or so on the phone I am told that they cannot re-enable the hybrid unit so I am left with no internet at all and my partner cannot work. 

I had to make something happen so I moved my partners office lock stock and barrel to her parents house so she can work remotely from there, I then get back in contact with BT and after another hour or so I am promised a EE minihub that will elevate the immediate issue of no internet, I once again reminded them that my partner needs a hardwired connection for her work PC and that Wi-Fi only is not suitable, so the next day the EE minihub arrives in the post and....its Wi-Fi only......after much messing about and googling I had to go out and purchase a TP link travel router to convert the Wi-Fi signal into an hardwired ethernet connection for my partners PC so we could move her office back into the house.

We had the new installation booked in for today, I had an openreach engineer and a BT home tech expert come to the property today and they have had exactly the same issue as the first engineer so I still have no internet! 

The engineers installed all new equipment to include, New Smart hub 2, new hybrid connect and a new ONT they checked all of the connections back to the fibre head on the pole and cannot find anything wrong, they are now saying that its an issue at the exchange head end and I have to contact my ISP (BT) This is exactly the same process that happened originally. My experience so far with BT has been awful, they have promised to send engineers to my property on multiple occasions and nobody ever attended the BT customer service team promised to call me back on multiple occasions and nobody ever has not once. 

I understand what the engineers that attended today have said, from their end the connection to the exchange (I can actually see the exchange from my house) is good and I have solid PON and LAN light on my ONT so from their point of view nothing is wrong but it obviously isn't working either!

Has anyone had a similar experience? and does anyone know how i can get directly in touch wit the new connections team as ? feel that going through the customer services team will just result in another seven weeks of frustration.   

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Failed installation (twice)

Are you dealing with the FTTP TEAM when phoning 08005874787 ? If not give them a call and see if they can help asking sure you have serial number of Openreach ONT handy

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

Hi @simoncook welcome to the community, I'm so sorry to see there have been so many delays and problems getting your fibre broadband connected and would like to apologise for the poor customer service you have received.

An issue with the head end in the exchange on a full fibre line is something that has to be resolved by Openreach. I will be happy to escalate this with them if you reply with your details to the private message I've sent you.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

Hi Neil
We are now connected to the internet but BT have overcharged us for the connection so I have gone to the ombudsman.

thanks for your message
0 Ratings