Few Questions Regarding Potential Speeds

Go to solution

Hi BT folks,

I did the wholesale checker and returned this:

Broadband Check 2022-06-26 142116.jpg

I checked my HomeHub and it returned this:

Home Hub 2022-06-26 142211.jpg

My queries are:

1.    I believe having a bit of work done at the house has resulted in the power going on and off quite a lot.  Could this be the cause of losing a fair bit of speed recently?  My connection is generally very stable with no loss of connection.  When it was first installed I remember getting somewhere in the mid 50s.

2.    Am I likely to benefit a DLM reset?

3.    Am I likely to get anything out a switch to Fibre 2, or is the mid 50s the best I can ever hope for given the apparent state of the cable from the nearby cabinet <200m?

Cheers for any assistance you may be able to offer.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Few Questions Regarding Potential Speeds

Go to solution

@Bristol_Steve wrote:

Hi BT folks,

I did the wholesale checker and returned this:

I checked my HomeHub and it returned this:

My queries are:

1.    I believe having a bit of work done at the house has resulted in the power going on and off quite a lot.  Could this be the cause of losing a fair bit of speed recently? 

Quite likely

2.    Am I likely to benefit a DLM reset?

Possibly, but you won't get one. You need to be patient and wait for DLM to automatically do its stuff.

3.    Am I likely to get anything out a switch to Fibre 2, or is the mid 50s the best I can ever hope for given the apparent state of the cable from the nearby cabinet <200m?

You are already on Fibre2, as can be seen from your upload speed of 12Mbps

Cheers for any assistance you may be able to offer.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

Thanks for the prompt reply @licquorice .  Whilst I cant explain any variations in speed, I am presented with the following whenever i query my account info:

Fibre 1 2022-06-26 152646.jpg

Fibre 1(2) 2022-06-26 152833.jpg

Been offered Fibre 1 for £5 less than current, but don't want to unnecessarily hamstring myself!

Been offered Fibre 2 for £2 less than current so could easily take that option as well, if I'd see any benefit.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

Is it possible that you were one of the customers a few years ago on fibre 1 who got a free speed boost to fibre 2 speeds while still being on fibre 1 package

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

Yes actually, that's entirely possible. Ill check old BT emails.

Well @imjolly  you're a genius, loo and behold, found this from 3 and some years ago :

Fibre1(3) 2022-06-26 162340.jpg

It never made any noticeable difference at the time, so I forgot about it.

Is it possible to figure out what I 'should' be capable of achieving?  I have approx 200m of underground cable to the cabinet area I guess, that runs under various re-laid drives that isn't going to be changeable any time soon.  I know you can't 'tell' me what to do, but I guess if I take the cheaper Fibre 1, I'm basically capping myself back to 55, and if I take the cheaper Fibre2 option, I at least give myself the full scope of what my cables can achieve if they can ever get there?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

Check the "Max Data" rate on the stats you posted. That is what your line can achieve. For all the difference there is little point in changing from what you have given that you have the extra upload speed already on the package you have.

If you went for Fibre 1 you would save £5 but loose the extra upload with little gain if any on the download.

If you go for Fibre 2 you would keep the same upload speed with little gain if any on the download.

Without doing a speed test it is doubtful that you would notice any difference in the real world between the two packages.

Wait and see if DLM relents and your speeds should return to what they were.

Message 7 of 8

Go to solution
Thanks all, I'll see what DLM does over the coming weeks, and if nothing much changes Ill go Fibre 2 just to save a few quid.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

Well spotted @imjolly 

'Well @imjolly  you're a genius, loo and behold, found this from 3 and some years ago :'

Cheers

David

0 Ratings