cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 15

Fiber to Copper - external wall

Go to solution

Hi all, I was wondering if I ordered BT fiber broadband, would BT be willing to terminate /convert the fiber to existing copper on the external wall, which already runs directly into my flat?  The reason being is that there are so many cables all over the building I'd rather not add another (my flat is not ground floor).  I'm not bothered by any marginal loss in speed. 

I've attached the photo showing the existing underground trunking which runs from an external cabinet directly on the road outside, however I believe that cable was for copper only to the 4 flats, as it was put there when the building was converted 8 years ago.

bt.jpg

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

Re: Fiber to Copper - external wall

Go to solution

That is not possible

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 15

Go to solution

Any device that converts incoming fibre to (in this case) ethernet will require power.  Technically using POE (Power Over Ethernet) is possible, but it's not something BT or any other UK infrastructure provider is fitting - as far as I know.

I only learn by making mistakes and owning up to them - boy do I learn a lot!
Message 4 of 15

Go to solution

That's helpful, thank you.  I'll stick with copper or try the dreaded Three 5g then

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 15

Go to solution

Before you give up entirely try to have a word with the neighbour who has that black weatherproof box connected to the exterior access point.  If that is ethernet cable coming out of it, one of your neighbours may already have beaten you to getting FTTP.

I don't know of an infrastructure provider in the UK doing this, but it is the kind of enclosure that could be used.  Cannot stress the advantage of being willing to talk to your neighbours about such thing - even if having set up most of their loft TV ariels the Bilsdale TV transmitter catches fires and you have to realign them all for free (niggle).

Message 6 of 15

Go to solution

It's not just a question of converting fibre to copper, FTTP delivered to the premises contains multiple circuits and requires to be connected to the ONT to filter out the correct circuit for the premises.

Message 7 of 15

Go to solution

@Crimliar 

The black box is an Openreach copper above ground drop wire junction enclosure so nothing to do with full fibre.

@casa222 

Just to let you know that in some areas a copper stop sell is being put in place which will gradually increase to include more areas as copper based services start to get withdrawn

More info on retiring the copper network:

https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband/retiring-the-copper-network

Message 8 of 15

Go to solution

That outside wiring looks like a total abortion!

Message 9 of 15

Go to solution

Yup, you've old cable from the conduit feeding into the external BT box.  The conduit does not meet the bottom of the external box (that'll be swampy).  Thick black cable from the external box to the weather poof enclosure at one end, with what looks like multi-core wire coming out at the other end.  Three sets of wires also coming out from the external box, one identified with blue tape, and later theyre all taped together with earth-identifying tape.  The only cable that looks 8+ years old is that coming from the conduit, everything else looks pretty new.  And yes if you pixel peep at the weather proof enclosure it does look like it says "Openreach".

Yeah - I'd say that's messy and unusual!

Message 10 of 15

Go to solution

@Crimliar thanks. when I bought the place it was a mess and there were just the grey cables going off to the flats from the external box. Now this black junction box has been recently installed so wondered if it was something to do with fiber.  Seems not but I left a message to the tenant asking why it's just been installed

Thanks all for your input, lastly, does anyone know if Openreach offer a service to tidy this mess up?  (accepting it could be costly).  I'd try myself but not worth the risk of causing an outage for the others.

0 Ratings